Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Automatic Updates - known issues?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
15-Feb-2011, 09:15 AM #1
Automatic Updates - known issues?
Hello Forum,
I am not sure the best way to keep checking this forum as for a possible solution or advice about what has happened at my company.

Yesterday, I had four HP Elitebook 8440P computers brought to me with the same basic story:
My computer was attempting to install automatic updates and now the computer will only boot to this black "Safe Mode" screen. As a tech, I started trying customary fixes, such as "System Restore" or to run windows with the last good configuration. After successful attempts at same, when trying to install updates the result became the same: inevitably the OS was found to be corrupted and needed to be reinstalled. I was unaware that XP could not be repaired but this was confirmed via HP representative yesterday.

Each computer is running Windows XP SP3.

Here's the rub: is anyone aware of issues with automatic updates?

Kindly,
Steve King
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 09:27 AM #2
I seen similar issues. But generally the issue is caused by 3rd parties apps like antivirus that causes issues with automatic updates. Other issues I have seen were caused because the users rebooted the system before the updates were installed properly.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 09:29 AM #3
PC_Whiz
PC_Whiz:

Is there anything that can be done when this happens aside from re-installing the OS?

-Steve King
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,245 posts.

15-Feb-2011, 10:28 PM #4
Yes. You can prevent unecessary 3rd parties from loading at startup -- clearing out the Run, RunOnce key entry in the registy for HKLM and HKCU as well the startup items.

The other option would be to disable antivirus when installing Windows Updates.

Best option -- depending on how many system you manage -- would be to push the updates manually.. So you can install only needed updates and test each system individually.
Member with 1,668 posts.

16-Feb-2011, 01:32 AM #5
this is the only one i have come across
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-5b008a227e5a/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
hp elitebook update issue

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!