Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Context menu not working!

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Mar-2011, 09:14 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: Context menu not working!
When I right click on an empty space or file in either folders or on the desktop nothing happens. Theres no faulty or half showing context menu, it just doesn't appear at all. Nothing freezes or starts loading, its like the context menu doesnt exist or is disabled in folders somehow. And the select option that when you left click and hold and drag to select many files works the same for the right click now for some reason, but I can't open files with the right click which is normal. When I right click a file then it just selects it. It works just fine on the taskbar, in the start menu, internet browsers, registry editor, anywhere in a folder exept files and empty area and also I havent encountered this problem with any other applications yet.

I have searched for a solution for this and tried a couple of things like editing the registry or using group policies editor, but it didn't help. Also liveserv.exe has been acting up by using CPU power more than its supposed to from time to time and I found out that a virus or such might mask itself as that. I scanned my WINDOWS folder and actually found a few worms and one more virus, BitDefender dealt with those but the problem didn't go away. Don't have time to scan my entire system at the moment.

Please help me with this!

Last edited by Glownut; 03-Mar-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Member with 73 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Mar-2011, 10:18 AM #2
Did you check the mouse button configurations in the control panel?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 2,461 posts.

03-Mar-2011, 10:31 AM #3
Glownut, Welcome to TSG. Follow the instructions under "Method 2 - Using ShellExView to determine the Context-menu causing the problem" at the link below.

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

Tufenuf
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2011, 10:52 AM #4
Theres nothing is mouse settings about context menu.

I checked the site and haven't yet done that but when I looked in my registry then there wasn't any value set in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT \ Directory \ Background \ shellex \ ContextMenuHandlers
only the
(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
Maybe thats the problem?

Will do as instructed on the website soon and say if it fixed it.
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2011, 11:09 AM #5
As a start I disabled all non-microsoft and the menu works now, thanks. I'll have to start looking for the problematic one now. I wont mark thread as solved yet until I find it and everything works okay.
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2011, 11:29 AM #6
There was no problem with any of the items on that list because after I had enabled them all(sorted some out and then enabled the last ones after a restart) the menu worked perfectly. If there was a problem then its gone now.
Thanks for your help!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
context menu, desktop, folder, right click, sp3

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!