Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

F9 recovery on Asus netbook not working

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

07-Mar-2011, 08:50 AM #1
F9 recovery on Asus netbook not working
I'm using an Asus netbook (unsure of model) and ran into some virus issues. I ran Norton, but even after that performance was slightly compromised. I wanted to perform a partition recovery, as although I have the DVD it came with, which contains a pure version of XP, A: I don't want to reinstall everything, and B: the morons put my Windows sticker on the bottom of the netbook, and the code has faded to illegibility. I'm pretty sure I'll need that code to re-install Windows, but you don't need it with F9 recovery. Problem: F9 doesn't work. I pushed it once, twice, hammered on it repeatedly; all that happens is that I see the partition as a D: drive, approximately 5 GB that seems to contain the image file (which is not openable by any program I have). I'm willing to take any suggestions. One thought I had was maybe to make an image of the partition and mount it on a usb stick and boot from there. I just don't have that large of a stick, and don't want to buy it for no reason. Also, I might totally mess up the PC. Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

07-Mar-2011, 10:48 AM #2
Quote:
I wanted to perform a partition recovery, as although I have the DVD it came with, which contains a pure version of XP, A: I don't want to reinstall everything,
The DVD will be the same as the recovery partition and often a re-install will remove all programs and data - you can do a non-destructive repair, but i have found on XP that can mean re-installing programs

re - the Key
use http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to find the windows key already on the PC
Junior Member with 11 posts.

08-Mar-2011, 08:12 AM #3
Thanks, this is definitely helpful. The only problem with using the DVD is either having to get hold of an external DVD reader, or shlepping out to a friend's house with my DVD and an external hard drive and making an image; a tedious task either way. If I have to, I will, but hopefully something will get figured out. Here's the thing, though; I know that when doing F9 the HD gets totally wiped. However, in my past experience, re-installing Windows XP will not wipe the HD. Would I still have the problematic files on my HD?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,605 posts.

08-Mar-2011, 01:43 PM #4
you should be able to run the recovery from the PC itself
If you look in programs - you may find a ASUS recovery manager utility, from there you can usually create DVDs for recovery and also run the recovery program from the partition and re-install XP
you usually have the option to do a fresh install - which will completely wipe the harddrive or re-install windows - when I last did the re-install , all the data was saved BUT none of the programs installed would work .......

you could follow the instructions in the virus malware removal forum , post the required logs and then we could move over to that forum to get the PC cleaned up of any virus / malware
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!