Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor- no signal, PC seems to be going

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
14-Mar-2011, 06:23 PM #1
Monitor- no signal, PC seems to be going
I have the problem that my monitor sometimes does not recieve a signal. It appears that the computer has powered up and i can hear the PC working and all the mouse and keyboard lights are up and running. I have switched monitors and sometimes the second monitor will work fine, sometimes not. Sometimes rebooting works, sometimes not. I haven't changed the system physically in any way eg. added RAM etc. I removed the extra cards and vaccummed them. Thought i had solved the issue. But now a month later it has started happening again. I suppose i would like to deal with this situation whilst i can still use the computer and access the internet and before it stops, maybe, completely? I did hear, i think, one long peep on booting up. It just caught me by suprise and sounded different than normal. Oh! and when my daughter was using it the other day, it just blanked out and there was no signal.Thanks
bp936   (Judy) bp936 is offline bp936 has a Profile Picture
bp936 has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Member with 2,977 posts.

14-Mar-2011, 09:27 PM #2
Can you at least get to Device Manager? check for the yellow arrow?
Might be your graphics card got loose?
If you get nothing, (speaking from experience) on any monitor, then you need a new graphics card, because think that what the long beep was on mine.
Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

17-Mar-2011, 11:16 PM #3
Ta. No there is no conflict. The monitor just seems to stop working or not come on. It seems to be doing that more freguently. I do video editing. Is there any suggestions as to what i need?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,706 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Mar-2011, 05:34 AM #4
Since you've switched monitors and are still having the same problem, we can pretty much rule out it being a monitor problem.

Assuming you're still using a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 256 MB video card, which driver version is installed? The most current driver version for Windows XP is 6.14.10.7519. If you have an outdated driver, updating the driver may resolve the problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

18-Mar-2011, 08:30 PM #5
Where did you find this driver? The link is not working. Yes my drivers are out dated, however, if you do a manual "search for drivers" through Device Managers it says there is no better driver available. I am running version 5.6.7.3.
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

18-Mar-2011, 08:38 PM #6
http://us.download.nvidia.com/Window...glish_whql.exe

is the latest driver from nvidia.com for fx 5500
Computer Specs
Member with 49 posts.

18-Mar-2011, 09:05 PM #7
Thanks heaps. Found. Downloaded and installed. Hope that helps. Why doesn't the Drivers Tab in the Device Manager say that new drivers were available? Does that mean i probably have heaps of drivers that need updating because the devise manager says that my current drivers are ok?
Computer Specs
Member with 697 posts.

18-Mar-2011, 09:19 PM #8
That feature only updates drivers from Microsoft Servers.... which rarely contains the most upto date drivers.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 57,706 posts.

19-Mar-2011, 06:11 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVEE View Post
Where did you find this driver? The link is not working. Yes my drivers are out dated, however, if you do a manual "search for drivers" through Device Managers it says there is no better driver available. I am running version 5.6.7.3.
Here is the link again to 6.14.10.7519.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Member with 73 posts.

19-Mar-2011, 04:32 PM #10
Pull the card out long enough to check the capacitors on the video card they are the round thing all over it if any are rounded on the top and not flat like the others that is your problem. Also check your motherboard for the same thing. can save you a lot of work if you know before you start. Bad capacitors are common easy to spot and result in all kinds of intermittent problems until the card just stops working. If fine then start the software fixes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
monitor blank

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!