Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Why is my computer crashing when using Photo Shop Elements

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Mar-2011, 11:38 PM #1
Why is my computer crashing when using Photo Shop Elements
When using Photo Shop Elements. If I rotate any picture, layer, or text, the computer monitor looses its signal just as it would if the computer were turned off.
But the computer is still on running, lights and fan are all still on. The reboot and power buttons are unresponsive, even if held in for several seconds. The only thing I can do is kill the power at the power strip.

The only other time this happens is sometimes while watching Netflix.

I did a complete format of the hard drive and reloaded Widows XP and Photo Shop, but that didn't fix it.

I know it's not the software.

If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks
Rick
Computer Specs
Member with 597 posts.

23-Mar-2011, 12:39 AM #2
Hmm, your computer is more than good enough to run these programs, how about your video card?
What type of Vid. card do you have? Do you have the latest drivers for your card.
I have read about a lot of people having problems with Photo Shop Elements, here is one sample of a problem and possible fixes, I know it is not related directly to your problem but it is just one of the examples I came accross:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/408/kb408940.html

Good luck
Ray
Member with 33 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
23-Mar-2011, 07:59 PM #3
Photo Shop and Premiere Elements are both huge memory hogs. I know from sad experience. I run XP Pro SP3 on a Dell XPS with 2.5 Gig of RAM, and half the time the program crashes, and sometimes the machine freezes. So, make sure you have sufficient RAM, and that all other programs are closed when using Elements. Check the Processes tab in windows task manager (control-alt-delete), and close those which you recognize that you don't need at the moment (don't close anything you don't know what it is). Some firewall and AV programs use a lot of memory, just make sure your machine is disconnected from the internet for the period of time that they are closed. Take a look at the Performance tab to see how much memory you are using with Elements.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen of death, crashing, photo shop elements

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!