Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to change the depth of pixels on windows xp?

(!)

OVERLORDCHAOS OVERLORDCHAOS is offline OVERLORDCHAOS has a Profile Picture
OVERLORDCHAOS has a Photo Album
Member with 238 posts.

Experience: Hawking
09-Apr-2011, 01:54 PM #1
how to change the depth of pixels on windows xp?
hello. i wish to put a depth of pixels better on xp. i think right now i got 72 pixels per inch. how can i change this lets just say to 720??? a registry key may do the trick?
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Apr-2011, 02:37 PM #2
For viewing you should use the native resolution of your monitor and then if you want to make items on the screen appear smaller or larger go to Display Properties>>Settings Tab>>Advanced>>General, and change the DPI setting.
Member with 238 posts.

09-Apr-2011, 02:42 PM #3
tyvm.
but i am looking have more resolution.
a normal vga monitor has 72 pixels per inch of resolution.
a lcd one 96 pixels per inch.
if you have adobe photoshop, when you start a new document, you can set the pixels per inch that the document will have. you can do a 4800 pixels per inch resolution, you will hardly notice nothing. but if you do a scan or a print it will be true HD.
i would like to raise the 72 pixels per inch on the display up to at least 480. i want to know if its possible trough the registry a script etc.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 19,331 posts.

09-Apr-2011, 02:58 PM #4
The pixels per inch setting in Photoshop only changes the physical size the Image thinks its default print/view size will be.
Since you can print it or view it any any size ... Its actually not doing anything and does not change the Image in any way.

You can change the dpi setting and not change the image resolution as long as you do NOT resample.
What you See or Print may not be the resolution the computer is working with ..
And you can have image files with more resolution than you could ever print or view.

You can't view more resolution than your monitor can provide.

Last edited by Noyb; 09-Apr-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Member with 238 posts.

09-Apr-2011, 03:03 PM #5
well i was refering to change that but for the graphics output from the graphics card to the monitor. but its ok i just have a silly lcd monitor not a LED one lol.
Noyb   (Jay) Noyb is offline Noyb is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions.
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2011, 03:06 PM #6
LCD and LED are the same .. the only difference is the backlighting
Computer Specs

09-Apr-2011, 03:15 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLORDCHAOS View Post
well i was refering to change that but for the graphics output from the graphics card to the monitor.
The best you can do is run at the native resolution (recommended) of the monitor .. (the viewing dpi will vary depending on the monitor)

Let me ask a question .. If you View the attached picture at full screen ..
Does it look perfectly round and square ??
Attached Thumbnails
how to change the depth of pixels on windows xp?-circle.gif  
Member with 238 posts.

09-Apr-2011, 06:46 PM #8
lol yeah the DPI its fine. i just wanted make xp look smooth as 7. i guess was more deth pixels and alot of other stuff.
i see it as it should be. but i have a widescreen monitor of 20 inches. it gets centered and all. its a nice monitor. i just want a LED HD because i went to a shop the oter day (and another one several moths back) and the quality of image its amazing. its like if the persons (in the firtst case i saw it was a LED tv HD) where dolls that you could reach your hand into the monitor and grab them of so HD that was. now the LED HD monitors come here and are pretty cheap to be honest.
Account Disabled with 5,251 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Apr-2011, 07:10 PM #9
You probably have 1680x1050 resolution? That's ok, a 25-28 inch widescreen 1920x1080 or x1200 would be quite a noticable difference without too high a cost. Its the old CRT monitors that still have the unbeatable contrast and uniformity. That's probably the only good thing about them but it is really really good.
I also use WindowBlinds from Object Desktop on XP and some of the aero packages are almost equivalent to Windows 7 and offer a lot more variability.
Member with 238 posts.

09-Apr-2011, 07:18 PM #10
lol i reached to hate the whole windows 7 look thats why i am using xp.
as i said i have widescreen. my maximum resulution is 1600x900 on a 20 inch monitor.
if i get money i will buy a nice LED HD monitor. this one will go to my silly mom. she is using my old lcd 15 inches 4:3 resolution. aldo that one has better resolution i must admit.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 06:41 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERLORDCHAOS View Post
lol i reached to hate the whole windows 7 look thats why i am using xp.
I'm also having several "Display Issues" and "User Problems" with Photoshop in my W7 Computer .. And use XP when I have any serious work to do .. That's most all of the time.
I've decided to wait on W8 and see how worse it gets .. It's not a monitor problem.
Member with 238 posts.

10-Apr-2011, 07:47 AM #12
how worse it gets...
imagine this:
all the common windows menues (like properties, copy paste open open with... etc any pop up menu with a right click made with crazy non understandable 3D cool icons lol.)
it will take you just a couple of minutes copy and paste a file (even if you have the fastest pc ever build) while you get around the icons. will be like the windows 7 taskbar minimized windows. but just everything. hundreds of insane cool icons to memorize.
and microsoft wants to stop giving away installers so you need to have a insane expensive fast internet.
so if you want to use microsoft office, instead of buy it (this in the future now right now) microsoft gives you a username and password to use office on the internet. sure it will save alot of disk space, registry messing around etc. but again you will need an insanely fast connection.
not to mention microsoft already its think of drop all 32 bits support. will work only on 64 and 128 bits (when the new 128 bits processors come out they are about to). so forget forever about all your old apps. probably windows 8 will have a windows 7 mode (as 7 has xp mode) to run old legacy 32 bits programs.
so prepare to lose your mind on the newest windows 8 just tryng to rename an icon because you will need to guess what icon is over the new pop up menu made of only icons lol.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 08:25 AM #13
M$ has forgot there's a difference in the display of, and the purpose for, Icons and Thumbnails .. Starting with Vista.
I've spent about a year trying to hack W7 so I could see icons on the desktop and still have thumbnail browsing ... I Gave up.
I can't see what Images I'm working with on the W7 desktop .. Thumbnails are not Icons.

I use Irfanrview as my default picture Viewer and Editor .. I've been able to Hack the Irfanview registry and restore the ability to Customize the Context menu .. That was removed in Vista.
You have to Hack the Irfanview registry .. W7 isn't smart enough to recognize a psd file as an Image.

If you know what I'm talking about .. And the advantages of being able to customize the R Click context menu ..
And you want to try this let me know .. But you'll still have to work blind.
See the top of my W7 R Click context menu ??
Attached Thumbnails
how to change the depth of pixels on windows xp?-clip.gif  

Last edited by Noyb; 10-Apr-2011 at 08:34 AM..
Member with 238 posts.

10-Apr-2011, 08:51 AM #14
lol well now in windows 8 there will be no 32 bits support and there will be no labels all insane icons.
you will have alot of fun hacking and hacking the registry to be able just to select open with...
lol.
Computer Specs

10-Apr-2011, 09:21 AM #15
Who in their right mind would want to go with the >> "Open With" >> "Multiple Choice Test " .. clumsy route ??
I quit taking tests a long time ago.
If the current trend continues .. I may have to go back to Fishing for a hobby.
Name:  roflmao1.gif
Views: 222
Size:  14.4 KB

We're working Differently .. I've been trying to operate at a reduced screen resolution ..
and keep the display looking as good as my XP systems .. I quit trying for this and several other reasons.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!