Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How to Restore a Compaq computer with Windows XP without disk?

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-May-2011, 08:08 PM #1
Exclamation How to Restore a Compaq computer with Windows XP without disk?
Alright. I have a Compaq Presario with windows XP on it that I want to restore like it just came out of the factory. I don't have any money for a new disk for it, let alone a new computer, but it wont even go to the windows start up screen anymore. I can press F11, but I can't find anything that has to do with restoration for it. I don't care about backing up anything, I just want my computer to work again. Can someone please help?
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-May-2011, 10:22 PM #2
Try F10. That is access to the recovery partition on the Compaq I've been working on for the last 2 days. If that works, you will get all the crapware that comes with the machine from the factory.

Raybro
Cybershaman Cybershaman is offline Cybershaman has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 109 posts.

Experience: IT/"Computer Guy"15+y exp
04-May-2011, 01:47 AM #3
I concur with raybro. Store bought rigs almost always have a special partition on their hard drives that has a complete package of everything that your machine came with. The trick is finding out which magic key to press while you boot up to access it. Just think, years ago, I used to delete those partitions when I did clean installs on people's machines. Oh, dopey me! :P Bad, Cyber! Bad! hehehe...
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,439 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-May-2011, 07:51 AM #4
What's the model number of that Compaq Presario?

If you don't know for sure, look at the HP sticker and advise what the product number is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on how old that computer is, it either came with a recovery CD kit or it came with a built-in recovery partition.

---------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
compaq presario, restore and recovery, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!