Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

registry got messed up by advanced system care

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-May-2011, 08:18 PM #1
Exclamation registry got messed up by advanced system care
hi everyone, i am at my witts end i have the advance system care, for cleaning my computer, i cleaned my comp several days ago, and since then my comp has gone crazy !!!!!! it wont let me comment, i lost my friends list onn games, it flickers when i try to go to a link in my favorites, it wont shut down a page, it clicks up links i didnt go to, its crazy, i used the undo or restore on the program, but nothing changed back, ive tried to do a system restore on my comp, and no date works says cant restore to that date, no matter what date i go to. helppppppppp!! i am beyond frustrated is there a free program i can run to repair my registry from the things the registry cleaner messed up, please if anyone can tell me, please answer
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

16-May-2011, 10:12 PM #2
Please provide the Dell Service Tag number for your Dell. It is a 7 digit Alpha-numeric number and should be located on the back of the tower.

Raybro
Computer Specs

16-May-2011, 10:54 PM #3
service tag 5L9PD11 MODEL OPTIPLEX GX 240
raybro   (Ray) raybro is offline raybro has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 5,822 posts.

16-May-2011, 11:30 PM #4
I went to the Dell site and downloaded some documentation on your computer. Some Dell's have a recovery partition from which you can recover your hard drive to the same configuration in which it was delivered. Unfortunately, that is not the case with your Dell. I assume you have the Operating System CD's which should have been provided. You will need them to fix your system.

I know of no way to "Fix" your registry other than a clean install of the OS. You can try what is called a "Repair Install". The process is intended to repair the system files. It will NOT repair the registry, so I think its unlikely to be effective for curing your problem. Attempting a repair install will leave your personal files (documents, photos, etc.) intact.

I suggest your most viable solution is to do a clean install of your OS. A clean install will wipe the hard drive (everything including documents, photos, etc.).

If you choose do a clean install you will need to perform a number of actions before doing so. Post back with what you want to do.

BTW... Not to beat you over the head about it, but what you are experiencing is the basic reason we here at TSG are collectively NOT in favor of using any kind of registry cleaner/optimizer/fixer, etc.,etc. Such programs do almost nothing to improve performance and have a high potential of damaging the registry.

Raybro
Member with 2,248 posts.

16-May-2011, 11:48 PM #5
Book from the XP disc into the recovery console or use a Linux CD and copy a good set of registry keeys from the system restore directory. The Microsoft article is somewhat verbose but basically navigate into the snapshot directory of a date before yours were messed up, copy the keys into to the system32/config directory, rename the old ones .old and rename the copied ones properly

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
Computer Specs

16-May-2011, 11:52 PM #6
cant do that, darn, dont have any disk with my comp. bought it a few years ago from pawn shop so no disk with it. dont want to lose thigs also, guess im in a pickle, thnks
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline   SUEOHIO has a birthday soon! SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,688 posts.

17-May-2011, 12:30 AM #7
since its an optiplex its a desktop. what u can do even tho its a tower and not a laptop which is easier to carry is take it to any reputable computer repair place and if u have a COA sticker on the tower its either on the top, side, or back they might make u a copy of windows xp pro or home whatever the computer came with for a small fee if any. if u are able to go to the dell website there is a lot of xp drivers for that model.download all of them and burn them to a cd so u will have them in the future. i know i used to have that same model.hope this helps u.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,122 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2011, 12:42 AM #8
Contact Dell support, I am sure you would be able to purchase a set of recovery cds for about $20.00 +/-
When you get to their site, enter the 7 digit service tag number of your computer so you can get exactly for what your machine originally had on it.
Vicks
Member with 2,248 posts.

17-May-2011, 11:55 AM #9
Then burn a copy of Knoppix or other linux live disc and you can copy and paste the reg files in the gui.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 59,019 posts.

17-May-2011, 03:49 PM #10
deebra:

What unfortunately happened to you is a good example of why we discourage people from using registry cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup type programs, regardless of what their creators claim they can do.

They do nothing to improve speed and performance. What they can do is damage the Windows operating system and break programs - which is what happened to you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the Dell support site that's specific only to your Dell OptiPlex GX240 desktop. It's over 8 years and you're not the original owner, so I doubt that Dell will provide you with a recovery CD kit.

According to its system configuration section, it came with Windows 2000 Professional pre-installed, so a recovery CD kit wouldn't do you any good anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!