Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Windows XP Windows XP
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Print Spooler Keeps Stopping

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-May-2011, 10:11 AM #1
Solved: Print Spooler Keeps Stopping
I have checked everywhere, and tried every fix I came across. But they have yet to work.

I have an IBM ThinkCentre 8171 with Windows XP Pro SP3. 2GB of RAM.

Here's the situation. A user had a virus (defender), which I removed, and the virus wiped out all restore points, as well as corrupted the print spooler or something.

Spooler service continuously stops. All settings are correctly applied: automatic start, reset fail count after 1 day, restart service after 1 minute.
If I change those to 0, the service appears to stay running, but none of the printers are able to be installed.

When he attempts to add a printer, an error pops up: "Operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running." And when I force it to stay running, it just says: "Operation could not be completed."

I am unable to restore to an earlier point due to the wipeout of restore points, and the print spooler keeps shutting down. This prevents the user from being able to print at all.

I have copied working spoolsv.exe and spoolss.dll files over, solved nothing.
I have deleted all drivers and printers from the spool folder. Fixed nothing.
I even copied over new drivers and printers to the folder, and that solved nothing.
I used the Microsoft website and tried running the FixThis program, fixed nothing.
I added it to the Data Execution Exceptions Tab, solved nothing.
I even ran the command that supposedly fixes/detects all issues within the windows OS, fixed nothing.

I could really use some help with this one.....

Any suggestions are welcome.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
25-May-2011, 10:16 AM #2
Have you deleted the actual spool files that may be lingering or corrupt? If the spooler service is stopped go to C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS and delete any files in there and then restart your print spooler.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

25-May-2011, 10:22 AM #3
Yes, I have done that.

There is nothing in that folder.

The service, however, still refuses to stay running and crashes when I attempt to reinstall printers.
Computer Specs
Member with 21,189 posts.

Experience: Disenfranchised American
25-May-2011, 10:33 AM #4
Delete all printers from the printer folder. While in the printers folder also go up to File > Server Properties and delete all of the drivers listed. There may well be a printer listed that is not showing up because the print spooler is stopped.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

25-May-2011, 12:33 PM #5
Solved
Ok, I attempted that, and it was unsuccessful due to the fact that I couldn't reach that location.

HOWEVER, I found out what it was.

There was a corrupted registry entry for print provider. I deleted it, opened printers and faxes, and all the printers magically populated themselves into the folder. It was quite a sight to see.

I found it in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\PRINT\

That's where the providers folder is located, there are two by default: LanMan Print Services and Internet Print Provider.

I sincerely hope this helps whoever else has this same issue.....
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-May-2011, 05:11 AM #6
Hi, I am having the exact same problem - same virus and everything. Can you tell me how to find this on my computer: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\PRINT\
so that i can try to fix it.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

26-May-2011, 07:01 AM #7
go to start --> run --> type in "regedit" without the quotes, and from there you can navigate the path that I gave you.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\PRINT\

then you check the providers folder and delete the ones that aren't the defaults.

Defaults are: LanMan Print Services and Internet Print Provider
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
26-May-2011, 07:40 AM #8
thanks heaps Eric!! found and fixed!! finally can stop freaking out that i'd never get my computer working again!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

30-May-2011, 12:52 PM #9
Thank you so much! I also had the defender.exe virus and after cleaning it up, I realized I could not print! I spent an hour surfing the web trying to figure out the problem. I would have never figured this out without your helpful post! Thank you!

30-May-2011, 10:38 PM #10
Hello Eric01,

I went in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\CONTROL\PRINT\ and deleted everything but the defaults....still cant get it to work? any thoughts?
Thanks,

Daniel
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

01-Jun-2011, 07:22 AM #11
could use a little more information here....
like what OS are you running?
what happened to cause this issue? i.e. virus removal? printer install?
have you tried any of the steps I briefly touched on in my initial post?
lastly, is a system restore out of the question? I have heard this works a large majority of the time, you just have to understand what all you may be losing along with it

05-Jun-2011, 08:45 PM #12
Hi Eric,
Recently I bought a HP printer, and i am having Windows XP. I am having the same problem. Ok i saw your prevoius msgs, and went to the folder which you had said in your previous messages. There are only 2 defaults in the Providers, one is Internet Print provider and the other one is Lan Man Print Service. And in Lan Man Print service i got one folder called Servers. I dont have any folders to delete. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Member with 38 posts.

06-Jun-2011, 07:01 AM #13
did you try a system restore?

Experience: Advanced
07-Jun-2011, 10:24 PM #14
Hello Eric, I had this same error from the same defender.exe virus. I had spent over 8 hours working on this before your solution. I thought I would have to completely reinstall Windows and everything else on my computer.
I am curious, how did you ever find that corrupted registry entry?
Thank you so much!!!!!! You really saved me on this one.

Ernie in Utah

08-Jun-2011, 03:54 PM #15
I had the same thing as Prathap79. I went into each of those folders and deleted everything that wasn't "(default)." It fixed the problem, and all the printers magically repopulated!

BIG thanks to Eric01 for saving me MANY, MANY hours of work! And yes, this too was from that awful Defender virus.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
print spooler, print spooler service, spoolss.dll, spoolsv.exe

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!