Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Windows 7 Won't See workgroup computers

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Steven715 
#1 ·
hello there all,
I will try and keep this as short as I can.
I have a HP Laptop that is Running Windows 7 64bit home preimiam I can't access any of my Nas drives or XP Laptop like I used to be able to. As far as i know nothing has changed.
I know that this is software issue for windows 7 as my Virtual Machine running windows xp with in windows 7 can see everything fine. :) The windows 7 laptop can connect to the Nas settings page via Http (internet explorer)

Hear is a list of things that I have tryed.
Using a cat 5 cable.
Changing the workgroup name and back again. (everything is all the same)
Changeing the Ip address from DHCP to manual.
Resetting Router.
Enabling Netbios over TCP/IP
Setting my network to a work location
Disabling Home Groupe.
Disabling Windows Firewall
I only have Windows Essentials running with a scan recentley compleated (IT Did find the Java Update Trogen but cleared it)

The laptop in questian is
HP G61
4gb Ram
Intel Pentium Processor
The Network Items are
(Wireless) Atheros AR9285 802.11B/G/N
Wired is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controler
Microsoft Virtual WiDi Miniport Adapter (Was enabled but I disabled it)
VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1 (These are not causing a problem as they have been installed on there for
VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8 over a year now) I did try and disable them to no avail.

If you need any more info please let me know.
I am downloading as i type Win 7 Service pack 1 so I will report back if this changes things.

Thank you Kind Regards Steve.

See less See more
#4 ·

It seems to me that the Computer Browser Service wasn't running as often in W7 as it used to in XP and that caused problems when people searched for Workgroup computers and didn't find them. They then went on to change setting after setting in the belief they'd done something wrong, even when they hadn't. SP1 seems to have corrected that and your experience confirms it.

#5 ·
We always appreciate info on how a problem was overcome.

Thanks for doing so.

Aside: You were fortunate to be able to install SP1. Many folks, including me, are running into difficulties.
Hello there redoak,
Thank you for your reply. I hope that it will help other people out as when i was searching there was alot of people that wanted answers/fixes.
I am sorry to hear about other people are having difficultues with SP1 for me it went very smothley although it took about 30 Minutes from start to finish.
As a side note I have not yet come accross diffrences yet.

Thank you again for the reply.
Regards Steve

It seems to me that the Computer Browser Service wasn't running as often in W7 as it used to in XP and that caused problems when people searched for Workgroup computers and didn't find them. They then went on to change setting after setting in the belief they'd done something wrong, even when they hadn't. SP1 seems to have corrected that and your experience confirms it.
Hi there Safa Lout
That is intresting I did look into Services and checked all the Network related stuff was running and Workgroup but I did not notice the Computer Browser was running or not. I was as thourough as I could be with trying to figure this out for myself I enjoy networking and sometimes love the problems it gives. This problem was mind bogling I have been trying for about a week before I contacted you chaps on hear.

Thank you once again Safa Lout for the reply I hope that others will be able to find this and give them a helping hand.
Thanks again Regards Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.