Tech Support Guy banner

Did Jesus have a Wife

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  DaveBurnett 
#1 ·
#3 ·
There is considerable evidence that the document in question is a modern hoax, including the fact that it shares wording and even mistakes from a modern copy of another ancient Coptic document.

Furthermore, even if the original guess were accurate, if the first reference to the idea doesn't pop up until at least 500 years after the event in question, it's not exactly a great historical source!

It doesn't actually mean all that much either way, but for the kinds of media attention it has been getting you'd think it was irrefutable proof instead of, at best, historical fan-fiction.

#5 ·
Hi.
There is no reson or records to my limited knowlage one way or the other. Most men of his age would, so why not Jesus.
Regards
Rex.

Reactions: Brigham
#6 ·
Rex, I think this is one area where an argument from silence may make some sense.

There are certain points in the gospels where one would expect it to come up if he were married; notably when Jesus is talking about marriage, and when he's on the cross and making sure his mother is looked after. Since it doesn't, it seems plausible that he wasn't. People pushing the other line tend to assume some sort of grand conspiracy theory on the part of the apostles to get around this.

#9 ·
You mean to suggest that tabloiding everyone anyone's ever heard of is a human urge, and not just a creation of the 21st century? :eek:

#12 ·
Well, I dont believe any woman 9months pregnant would get on a donkey, and traverse all that chasm for miles and miles in the middle of Winter just to be counted in some darn census;
Oh, and ifcourse no one would let her stay in a room at the Inn, so she gave birth in a horse stable;
Oh, and the dude did not have sex with her, so she was a virgin;
Oh, and some 3 kings knew exactly where she was without GPS so they brought gifts to her son;
The list goes on and on.

#14 ·
I all.
Well my 77 year old partener and I, have ofted discussed the conception of Jesus ?? I think I will have to go along with this recomendation from BR
(, I think this is one area where an argument from silence may make some sense. )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.