Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

asus M5A99FX and MSI GTX 560 TI No video

831 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  TheRoyalWe 
#1 ·
Have combo of motherboard and video card stated above in title. About 10% of time, start up and get no video display. If I wiggle and/or re-seat the video card in the slot on the motherboard I get video. Sometimes it takes a few attempts. 10%!!!! NOT 100%. So this is an intermittent problem. I have been living with this for about a year and getting tire of it. So the system usually boots and works fine. Has anyone experienced this? I'm thinking a new motherboard. But the Video card was bought back in 2011, so it's old. Motherboard was bought in 2014 - and Yes I've upgrade the BOIS.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Do you get any other systems or problems once the system is up and running, anything at all out of the ordinary?

First thing I would do is open the case (with it powered off of course) and physically remove and reseat the cards and cables to be sure they are firmly and correctly in place.

What is the exact make, model and wattage of your power supply and roughly how old is it?

#3 ·
Nope. No other problems. Everything else is fine. Very quick with Windows installed on an SSD. My case is always open mainly for cooling however this problem occurred before I left one of the panels off. I remove and reseat the card every time this problem occurs. The power supply was bought back in 2008. PC Power and Cooling S75QB 750W.

#5 ·
I tried moving the card to the other slot and it didn't work - nothing displayed. However, looking at the board now, I might have put the card in the black slot (#3 in the booklet that came with the mobo) rather than the second blue one ( called #4). I'll give it another try.

If that doesn't work, my next step would be a different video card.

Power supply is old. I don't know much about power supplies. They're cheap enough to replace but when does age become a factor?

Thanks

#7 ·
I've replaced the power supply. Didn't expect it to resolve the problem and it didn't.

Also tried mounting the video card in the other blue slot. Nothing happens. No prompt. No bios display. Looking at the motherboard documentation, it seems to imply that the second slot is for a second video card - not the first and only one.

I think I'll try another video card next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.