Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vista 32 to either Vista 64 or 7 64 via usb (no disk)

989 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
I'm at my wit's (and computer knowledge's) end here and I can't find my specific situation through google so I'm hoping someone can help.

I am currently running Vista 32 bit but my pc is capable of 64 bit and after buying a game recently I need to 64 bit. From what I have read I can do a clean install and choose 64 bits and I have backed up my pc so I am ready to do this.

I downloaded a 7 64bit iso from a site that mirrors the river site that used to host windows downloads I guess? I formatted an 8 gig usb thumb drive with command prompt and assigned it the label of drive F. I then saved my Windows 7 64 install iso onto my desktop as instructed. I then attempted to locate this file using command prompt to load it to the usb but had no luck. I see then that the site says if I am using a 32 bit version of Vista it will only detect a 32 bit version of 7 so that could explain it, but leaves me stymied.

Honestly 7 sounds nice but I have zero problem with Vista so if it's just a change to Vista 64 instead of 7 64 I'm fine with it. So basically how would I go about getting the 64 bit version of whatever's easier and do it using a thumb drive. Also I have my product key on the pc as it came loaded with Vista and I never (that I know of) had a disk.

Thank you in advance to anyone that can help me with this.

See less See more
#2 ·
1. The DigitalRiver Windows 7 downloads were withdrawn by Microsoft sometime ago
DigitalRiver was and still is indeed an authorised retailer of Microsoft products
However Microsoft withdrew all downloads of install media for 7 from authorised sites

2. The Digital River downloads always required a product key - NOT to download it but to activate it

3. Microsoft now themselves provide a windows 7 download BUT this requires a product key to obtain the download
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

4. I have no idea where you have found the 7 download but advise caution as it has been widely reported that many of the offered ones are of doubtful integrity both from the installation aspect and indeed the content of the download.

5. So the first question is - product key - do you have one available for its use and of course a key that is not in use on another computer
NOTE it has been reported that a windows 7 OEM eg. Dell etc. key will not authorise the Microsoft download.

6. The same applies to Vista in relation to the product key for the 64 bit as I am sure the product key on your computer will be for 32 bit and then you have the added problem of a vista 64 bit installation media

#3 ·
Product keys are not unique to 32bit or 64bit versions of Windows Vista or newer. However Windows 7 would require you to purchase it to obtain a license for it, your Vista key will not work with anything other than Vista.

What game did you get that requires 64-bit version of Windows? And if it requires a 64-bit version of Windows do you have enough RAM for it? How much RAM does your computer have. Is your video card capable of this game? I'm worried that if the game is so demanding that it requires a 64bit version of Windows if it'll even work on an old Vista computer.

#4 ·
The game is GTA V. When I go to Computer>System Properties it says I have 3 gigs of RAM but isn't 4 required for 64 bit? I followed steps earlier and saw where it said the computer was 64 capable.

Video card is an NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

I just read some guys saying they use 2 gigs of RAM for GTA V.

Also I'm not blowing off the first response and I appreciate it, just never even thought that I might be doing this for nothing if the pc can't run the game.

#5 ·
You need a new gaming computer if that's your intention.

Your onboard graphics isn't even close to the minimum requirements for GTA V and the recommended cards are quite highend and expensive. You'd also need a highend power supply to run such a card which the system unlikely has if it just has basic integrated graphics.

3GB of RAM is not enough for Vista 64-bit, let alone for GTA V running on Vista which requires 4GB minimum and recommends 8GB.

And if that's the GPU and RAM you have, and being Vista I doubt you have a very fast processor by today's standards or what GTA V needs. Minimum CPU for GTA V is an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 or AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor, recommended is a 3rd generation Intel i5-3470 or an 8 core AMD FX-8350.

Your system may run well for your needs but GTA V is a totally different thing as would be any modern game or application.

#6 ·
I thought it might be slow but I thought it would run it. I appreciate the answers and REALLY wish I had found this site this morning to save myself a day of headaches.

The sad part is I had the computer worked on about 3-4 years ago and the guy told me it was actually a pretty powerful computer and was surprised we didn't game on it. Too bad 3-4 years ago might as well be 30-40 years ago in tech lol. Thanks for the response(s) guys.

#8 ·
I just checked and I have an AMD Phenom Quad Core 9500 is that any good?
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core 2.20 GHz processor
Video card is an NVidia GeForce 6150SE
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE graphics

You're fighting a losing battle with trying to use that computer for gaming.
You need to focus on "recommended" requirements and not on "minimum" requirements for gaming.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.