Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading a CPU

Solved 
1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  replay 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have this older computer I bought for 69$ (refurbished from discount electronics) just to get online and do home work. Its Kicking ass for what I paid for it. I put more ram in it and now want to upgrade the CPU, my single core keeps maxing out and seems to be whats slowing me down from having 5 or more internet windows open at once, which I love to do and really helps with homework (usually while playing youtube videos in between). I have a AMD Sempron 140 single core and want to install this AMD PhenomII X3 3.0G B75. Different packages of this same computer come with this chip (I included a link to view this below). Will I need a new heat sink and fan with it or can I Use the same one? Can i simply swap these chips or am I needing another step before the swap? Is the swap as easy as pulling the old one out and plugging the new one in? Are used chips worth buying off ebay from highly rated sellers? I wont be gaming just internet and youtube and such. I keep seeing my current CPU max out. Here is a link with the listed specs and various options for my OEM computer. (I currently have the minimum listed CPU on this link i want to install the AMD PhenomII X3 3.0G B75 its only 35$ used) Thank you for any help in advance and have a great day. If i can get enough info to pull this off ill be sure to throw the site a donation for my appreciation. Below is the link to my model of HP. (one other thing, doubt it matters but im running windows 7)

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03414737#N10013

#3 ·
Yeah that will be one of the ebay links I was checking. I appreciate the help. I was getting confused reading about making sure your mother board matches and what not. I couldnt find any info on this mother board but i figured since this same computer could come with these different CPUs that they should be easily interchangeable. Do i need to do anything with BIOS before the swap?

#4 ·
The AMD Sempron 140 2.70 GHz single-core processor appears to use 45 watts of power.

The AMD Phenom II X3 B75 3.00 GHz triple-core processor appears to use 95 watts of power.

That HP Compaq 6005 Pro Small Form Factor PC appears to have a 240 watt power supply.

There's no information on its motherboard, so it's unknown if it supports the processor that you want to upgrade to.

crjdriver or Triple6 or Tanis or one of the other hardware experts here can give you better advice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
It is listed so it should work however I doubt you are going to be able to use the hsf you currently have installed. You will most likely need a better hsf and given that this is a SFF type case, you may run into some cooling problems as well.

#10 ·
So I installed a CPU temp monitoring program, simply called Core Temp. Say I install the new CPU and it shows temps going to high and I cant get a hsf to fit in the SFF type case. Could I simply remove this CPU and reinstall the old one (no harm no foul) or do I run the risk of destroying other things in my computer? To me if I install the new CPU and the temps run to high i lose the 35$ dollars and reinstall the old single core, to me it would be worth the experience and the try as long as it doesn't run any major risk of possibly destroying the rest of my PC in the process. Besides burning up my new CPU is their risk of damaging any thing else? So far since running Core Temp monitoring i have maxed out at 35C it says max for this CPU is 61C so im hoping thats a good sign for the new CPU.
I guess in your combined expert opinions if I run no extra risks, ill just order it tonight once I get a consensus and see how the temps work out. If I cant really harm anything else besides the new/old CPU I see no reason not to try. Even if I broke the old CPU they are 10$ online.
I really appreciate the help from every one and wish I had a way to repay you all some how. Have a great day.

#11 ·
i' sure back in the day (2009) they didn't only sell these units with a sempron processor!
this guy has a b55 phenom in his (80w)

the processor is covered with a shroud it is fed air directly from a fan in the front of the case ...see pic
you wil be able to reinstall the old one....as mentioned dont forget the thermal paste...etc

Attachments

#12 ·
Ok, im going to order it and see how it works out. Never used this site but you all really helped out, ill make a donation on everyone's behalf. Not sure if you all are really worried either but either way ill post results later, might take a little while to get the chip but ill be sure to update once I have a solid consensus of the results.
Im sure you all have way better set ups but for the 69$ (discount electronics) this computer cost me plus the extra 30$ to bring it up to 6GB of ram I couldnt be happier with it so far even with this single core processor. I almost regret spending the 450$ i did to get my other computer set up. I bought this one because i needed to do homework immediately and a failed windows 10 install had my other computer in limbo. This might make a great PC for the kids or as a back up while you do builds or for a guest room.

#14 ·
So earlier today I installed the new processor, just wiped off the old thermal compound installed the new chip and applied new thermal compound. I was worried I may need a chip puller but there is actually a little lever that pops it out for you. It started up with out a problem, it self installed new drivers than said to reboot, after reboot, not a single problem yet. Ive been monitoring temp ranges but so far so good. The picture Replay posted is dead on, it is directly fed outside out from a fan on front of the case, i dont envision any real cooling problems, if i do ill attempt a fix on my own or try another post for it. I thank every one for the help. Everyone have a good day.

Replay, you were dead on, I found a tower comparable to the refurbished one i paid 430$ for, a guy was selling it for 50$ just to get rid of it, If i didnt have these two already and this CPU already traveling in the mail I would have bought it as my back up tower. Hind sight is always 20/20 but I guess we all live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.