Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pc gets low fps when it shouldn't

1K views 18 replies 2 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been putting a rather old pc together but I am not getting near the performance I should be I can have fps go from 14-60+ fps constantly changing on average sticking right below 30 fps making it a real pain I have an evga 780i sli mother board with 8gb of ddr 2 800mhz ram a core 2 quad 2.66 ghz over clocked to 3.6 ghz but it makes no differences and an evga gtx 760 2gb if any one knows a solution to thisbplease help I know my cpu and gpu drivers and temps are fine my mcp is running at 80º mabye that's it?

#3 · (Edited)
First of all, you need to list ALL of your exact parts; ie exact cpu, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc. Do not post "500W pw supply" post the exact brand and model# Do that for ALL of your parts.

Next post the following; cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. If possible, post these while stress testing the system with prime95.

Just my opinion however evga makes fine video cards; not so much with motherboards. When you do an intel build, you use a mb with an intel chipset. Same thing with an amd build; use a mb with an amd chipset. When you use third party chipset boards [like what you have] that adds an extra layer of complexity to the issue.

80C is pretty warm for the chipset. Have you tried cleaning the heatsink OR running with the side cover off and a fan blowing air into the case? If not, I would do so and see if the performance improves.

#4 ·
4x2gb atech ddr2 667 pc2-5300
Core 2 quad Q8400
Evga geforce gtx 760 sc
Corsair tx 750w power supply model: cmpsu-750tx
Cpu temp after start -22ºc
Board temp 35ºc
Mcp 74ºC
3.3V=3.26v
5V=5.04V
12v=12.14v
I can try and stress test I think I have prime 95 but I have no internet right now if I don't have it I will reply soon

#17 · (Edited)
You have found your problem. Very often failed caps are not found or seen until you pull the mb. I tossed a few boards just like yours with failed caps.
As I said before evga makes fine video cards; not so much with mb. You have three choices;
1 Get that board recaped by bad caps OR do it yourself
2 Toss the nvidia chipset board and get an intel chipset board
3 Give up on socket 775 tech. Your mb is now going on 8yrs old and putting any money into fixing 8yr tech is not cost effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.