Not open for further replies.

Retrieving

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Hiya,
My info...
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4060 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset, 1806 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 467772 MB, Free - 10424 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K83V0
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Recently I had a guy reboot my desktop PC completely on windows 7 [& charged me way too much for what he did] because I downloaded java and then had no USB ports working.
He phoned me to check that I'd had windows 7 installed and did I just want that OS reinstalled. I said yes because I know it, and couldn't afford to pay him for anything more at the time...
But when I got it back from him, my PC was missing all these odd files...like my entire desktop [so all my work is gone, which has done nothing but cost me financially...I could kill him for that alone] but also just things like a folder with videos in it but not all of the videos I had, plus all my photos are gone, all my music, and other odd folders within certain libraries or large files...more than one, in most cases. But it seems so random as to what I have lost, there seems no reason as to why some files were deleted and others kept within a library.

However now my desktop PC, which had only used about half its capacity when it crashed, now seems to have only MB left...out of 456gig, so I'm guessing I can retrieve lost folders, somehow, and then delete the duplicates that I now have left of what I got back; if that's what he's done when he 'rebooted' me from scratch, if that's the word....duplicated most of my stuff without realising it.

I've tried to speak to him about this but he's an idiot and shouldn't be fixing PCs at all, in my humble opinion...

So if anyone could help me understand the registry, or whatever it is I need to work through to get back all my music [thousands of songs] and my photos [of course irreplaceable], let alone the other stuff I'll never get back if I cannot work this out, and therefore reduce my 456gig back to half as it was before I gave him the hard drive to work with, I'd be ever so grateful...plus this is costing me money without my work...daily.

Thanks ever so much,
Jo

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds to me like he may have reformatted it?

Right click on the start orb > open windows explorer > right click on the c drive > properties > let us know how much free space and how much used space there is please.

#3 ·
Hard Drives: C: Total - 467772 MB, Free - 10424 MB
The 456.80 GB capacity hard drive in your computer has only 10.17 GB of free space left, so your idiot repair person definitely did NOT format it and do a clean install of Windows 7.

He did something else with it, so we need to try to figure out what he did and if your personal data is still recoverable.

Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0K83V0
You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 560 desktop. Is that correct?

What's the "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?

So if anyone could help me understand the registry, or whatever it is I need to work through to get back all my music [thousands of songs] and my photos [of course irreplaceable], let alone the other stuff I'll never get back if I cannot work this out
Now you know why we encourage people to back up their personal data on a regular basis, especially if it's important and irreplaceable to them.

Waiting until something goes wrong with a computer is not the time to think about doing it, and is a good way to lose it permanently.

----------------------------------------------

#4 ·
My question of June 25, last.
I would just like to apologise for not getting back to any of the kind people who helped me with their knowledge.
We had a death in the family...I didn't go near my desktop for ages and all of a sudden, a lot more space was available. It was odd, the parts of my C drive that went missing after that fellow supposedly fixed it...no rhyme or reason, so to speak...a file was completely empty but the file right next to it was untouched. I think I mentioned just how much I did lose...some videos but not others...photos were completely cleared out, so you lose all the photos you've taken in the last decade or so.
In any case, now it seems
Used space: 259GB
Free space: 196GB
I think I said in the original thread that I had about a gig left of free space...I know this PC defrags itself, plus it may also do an automatic disk clean up...I hadn't been game to to do that myself because I thought I might lose stuff.
Even as it stands, there could be some of my missing stuff somewhere on this thing so thank you for your advice and I will have a look at everything that was written to me.
Oh, and yes, Frank, it is a Dell Inspiron 560, but I'm sorry, I can't find any sort of service tag number.
You're right of course, it was my own fault that I had nothing backed up...acted like a 19 year old, thought I was bullet proof but would just like to see if I can get any of my lost stuff back before putting everything onto discs now.

#6 ·
The guy you mentioned 5 months ago who worked on your computer is the only one who knows what was done, but I wouldn't trust him to work on it again.

If the hard drive is showing 259 GB of used space, there's definitely a lot of your personal data still in it.

The problem now is finding someone who knows what they're doing and who can retrieve it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.