Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

photos lost from Windows 10 upgrade

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  chrissy1955 
#1 · (Edited)
I have installed Windows 10 but now cant find my photos. I have looked on OneDrive and in my bin but cant locate the files with hundreds of photos. I don't want to use OneDrive - can any one help? It seems to be a common problem but I can't figure it out.

i only ever had my photos on my hard drive i have never used one drive

#3 ·
I have installed Windows 10 but now cant find my photos. I have looked on OneDrive and in my bin but cant locate the files with hundreds of photos. I don't want to use OneDrive - can any one help? It seems to be a common problem but I can't figure it out.
Installed windows 10 or upgrade a PC to windows 10

You should have been asked to keep old data
which will be in a windows.old folder on the PC
there is a folder called windows.old but it doesnt appear to have anything in it.

#4 ·
Installed windows 10 or upgrade a PC to windows 10
how did you install - what did you use ?

is the folder empty or will it not open
right click on it
Properties
What size is reported and how many folders listed

If an upgrade how long ago did you do this ?

#7 ·
how did you install - what did you use ?

is the folder empty or will it not open
right click on it
Properties
What size is reported and how many folders listed

If an upgrade how long ago did you do this ?
I installed it from the download that MS sent me.
when I go to Windows.Old Properties says Size: 5.1GB - when I look into folders of which there are 25547, I cant find anything that resembles my photos - they just seem to be a lot of system folders

I did the upgrade on either Thursday or Friday - cant quite remember but the folders in .old seem to indicate Thursday 26/11/2015

#5 ·
Besides the questions and comments from Wayne that you need to reply to, please reply to the following:

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Before you made the upgrade, were your photos stored in the default Pictures folder or elsewhere in the file system?

Do you have a copy of your photos saved elsewhere(flash/thumb drive, CD's/DVD's, external hard drive)?

--------------------------------------------------------------

#8 ·
Besides the questions and comments from Wayne that you need to reply to, please reply to the following:

Did you upgrade from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Before you made the upgrade, were your photos stored in the default Pictures folder or elsewhere in the file system?

Do you have a copy of your photos saved elsewhere(flash/thumb drive, CD's/DVD's, external hard drive)?

--------------------------------------------------------------
I installed from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Some photos I have access to on other devices but not all photos - and yes they were in Pictures

#9 ·
that does not appear to be a very large backup file
However,
try the following

within windows.old
is there a folder called
users
under users - should be a folder with the same name as the account you had on the PC originally
click onthat user
now you should see folders
documents , music, photos
click on photos
should see all your photos

IF not
using file manager
click on
windows.old
now in the search box - top right
type
*.jpg

allow to search
does the search , find any images and if so are they your photos

#10 ·
that does not appear to be a very large backup file
However,
try the following

within windows.old
is there a folder called
users
under users - should be a folder with the same name as the account you had on the PC originally
click onthat user
now you should see folders
documents , music, photos
click on photos
should see all your photos

IF not
using file manager
click on
windows.old
now in the search box - top right
type
*.jpg

allow to search
does the search , find any images and if so are they your photos
yes it does bring up some images - some that I have been working on over the past couple of days and have just loaded also seems to be all photos that were on my desktop them there are some very old photos from about 5 years ago. 736 itmes but I know that there should be many other folders and one has 1800 photos in it. I have tried both of the above(which I had tried already but worth a shot). in doing some googling, I see others have this same problem but still havent been able to resolve it

#11 ·
I have n ow right clicked on properties for the c Drive and looked at previous versions. I can see backups if I right click on one from two weeks ago It brings up restore - would that help (I am not confident just to do it) I realise it would mean I might loose stuff from between now and two weeks ago but that is insignificant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.