Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Using Two Routers (not a wi-fi question)

966 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
I previously had an office where my network was connected to the building's T1 connection. I had a DLink DIR-655 handling my routing, with a Win server, some XP boxes, and VoIP phones. Building just got sold and kicked us all out, so I just had to relocate my setup to a home office. ISP at home is Xfinity, using their dual band X1 modem/router.

Plugging everything back in at home the way it was at the old office works, but not as well. For example, phone call clarity is spotty (even though VoIP provider says all is well on their end, and QoS settings are correct), and web pages are frequently slow to load (even though Comcast says all is well on their end).

Telephone support people suspect double-NATing is the culprit and recommended (1) getting rid of the DLink in favor of the X1 router or (2) setting the X1 to bridge mode. I can't do (1) without running a bunch of cable and installing outlets, due to the physical distance btn the X1 and where the other devices are located, but I don't own the home. Trying (2) screwed everything up royally and took hours to put back the way it was. So, I just tried to swap the DLink out in favor of a Netgear GS608 switch, but the phone showed No Service (despite recognizing that it was connected to a network).

So, any suggestions...?

See less See more
#2 ·
You may be able to remove the double-NAT issue by setting the router to act as a client bridge. My network at home is set up this way. My router has the option of using either a DSL link or an ethernet link. I had to modify the IP settings to match the main network. Can you post your secondary router's model number?

#3 ·
Connections are as follows: ISP (Comcast) ---> Dual-Band Modem/Router (Arris TG1682G) ---> Router #2 (DLink DIR-655; hardware version A4; firmware version 1.32NA) ---> all other devices. So, I'm essentially using the DLink as an extension cord. The DIR-655 apparently cannot be set to bridge mode (see http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4542.0), and, again, the Netgear GS608 switch didn't seem to work in its place for all devices (e.g., VoIP phone. On the forums.dlink.com page I cited, Reply #11 offered a multi-step solution as a workaround, but it's beyond my understanding to know whether it's a good alternative or whether I'd just make things worse for myself. As before, any help is appreciated.

#4 ·
Using a switch instead of a second router is the correct approach if running cables is not an option which would be the cleanest approach. The problem with getting rid of the second router might be that you have your devices configured for the IP scheme of the D-Link instead of the Arris. You may just need to change the IP addresses of the devices that don't work. You might also be able to put the Arris into bridge mode as suggested, but only if it doesn't provide other services such as IPTV or VOIP.

#5 ·
> You might also be able to put the Arris into
> bridge mode as suggested, but only if it doesn't
> provide other services such as IPTV or VOIP.

Setting the Arris to bridge mode did nothing useful, and trying to get back into the Arris to undo that setting required hours on the phone with Comcast (bcz it would no longer even recognize 10.0.0.1, let alone let me log back in). This happened twice, so I'm loath to consider it again. As for VoIP, that comes from the DLink, which was the router recommended by my service provider (8x8) and has the QoS settings they suggest.

> You may just need to change the IP addresses of the devices that don't work.

Please explain. I thought perhaps bagging the switch and instead getting a static IP address and port forwarding (like this guy does for the Xbox -- http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Arris/TG1682G/Xbox_One.htm) might not be the next thing to try, but I'm fairly new to networking.

#6 ·
When you pout it into Bridge mode you turn it into a simple modem with no router features, then you use your router for those functions.

It might be good to tell us what VOIP stuff you are using and how you configured it. If it's configured with static IP address for the IP scheme of the Dlink then you need to change it to match the Arris. ; ie. 192.168.0.x vs 192.168.x.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.