Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to create system image on ext hdd and other weirdness

Solved 
725 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  rivo2006 
#1 ·
I've just got my new pc the way I like it and decided to make a system image before I go any further.
Hooked up my Seagate hdd, selected it in Windows backup utility and set it to create a system image on it. After 10/15 mins I heard the drive go into idle mode and the image creation process stalled. I assumed it might be a power savings setting, so i went in there and set hardrives to never go to sleep and tried again - same result.
Each time, I was unable to exit the process and had to restart windows.

Next I decided to try creating the image on an internal drive to see if I get the same problem and nope, the 60gb backup image of my windows drive completed in about 2 minutes! :confused:

I then copied my 'windowsimagebackup' folder from my internal drive to my external. More freezing requiring me to exit the process which in turn killed the explorer.exe process!

Any ideas on what this could be. The ext drive seems to work ok aside from this?

#4 ·
I will try one of those programs for a future backup.

Well, I may have exaggerated a tad at 2 minutes, maybe 4? It does seem a bit quick alright but Ive just installed a 4690k with 16gb of ram so im secretly hoping its all down to that! The file size is about right for what was backed up though.

Seems I may have been wrong about the ext drive working A-OK. Occasionally when just accessing folders on it, it freezes up now too. A little googling revealed a known flaw with these Seagate USB ext drives so I downloaded the Seatools diagnostic app and ran the first short generic test, which subsequently failed. This points to bad sectors. Very odd, it got very little use since I bought it, but many have mentioned on forums that these drives failed out of the box. I originally thought, firmware update, but none is available.
I will now get everything I can off the drive as it can only get worse.

I have my windows image anyway now guys, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.