Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USTec UX-226 help

12K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  zx10guy 
#1 ·
Hi - I just moved into a house that has the USTec UX-226 Basic module installed. The previous owners had phone and internet in all rooms via the phone and data ports. I, for the life of me, cant figure out how to connect the internet (phone works fine). I have FIOS and need to somehow feed the output of the modem into the networked data/internet ports. I tried these ports in the rooms but cant get connectivity in any of the other rooms. If I can figure out how to feed the signal at the source (control box) I should be able to charge the lines for the data/internet ports.

Any help/ideas appreciated

#2 ·
You need to post up pictures of your setup. Doing online searches for USTec seems to indicate the company is no longer in business. But what little information is out there seems to indicate the RJ45 plugs on the UX-226 board are only for phone service due to the RJ31x feature to allow a security system to take full control over the phone line.

I suspect the way the house is wired is each drop is terminated in each room to a female RJ45/RJ11 connector. These are pulled back to the structured wiring cabinet and terminated into male connectors. You plug in the ends you want to have phone service into the UX-226. The drops you want to extend LAN/Internet to will have to plug into a switch or the LAN ports on your router.

I would refrain from leaving anything electronic plugged into the wall drops until you sort out the wiring. If I'm correct in imagining how things are wired, you run the risk of burning out anything non phone related because of the 48V ring voltage.

#3 ·
you are accurate in most of these assertions - I think USTec did go out of business some time ago.

I'm attaching some photos - wiring is a mess so pl. bear with me :)

The FIOS feeder line goes into the spliced coax in the first photo. I have currently installed the FIOS Modem in a room serviced by one of the three spliced coax outputs with a router connected to the modem. I'd like to, in theory, attach the FIOS feeder line directly to the modem at the box itself and then feed the RJ45 output of the modem into the wired network so I have wired internet in all the rooms via the USTec setup. Problem is I cant figure out how to do so - all blue RJ45 lines appear to be dedicated lines to individual rooms and I cant figure out where the input is to that set.

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply Wire
Fluid Engineering Gas Electrical wiring Electronic engineering
Circuit component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering Hardware programmer Electronic component
Bicycle part Bicycle tire Sports equipment Electrical wiring Bicycle fork
Electrical wiring Electronic component Electricity Computer hardware Electronic engineering

#4 ·
Would you include photos of the FIOS equipment? I've never worked with a FIOS install before so I'm a bit surprised there is any coax involved. My impression is there is a fiber drop pulled into your house and then the modem/router connects to it. For a long while you were stuck with using their Actiontec all in one to use FIOS service in its native mode as a router. My understanding is you can now reconfigure the modem/router into bridged operation. I also seem to recall you're supposed to have a UPS supplied to you in case you lose power due to Verizon cutting copper service to your home when you convert over to FIOS.

Anyways, the photos you supplied for the UX-226 has been very helpful. It locks in my assumption that the RJ45 jacks are part of a phone bridge board. You cannot use any of these connections to supply Ethernet connectivity. You'll need to add in a router/network switch into the cabinet to get your network up. The need for a router or switch will depend on what you come back with on the FIOS supplied equipment.

#5 ·
FIOS has grown up :) - I have had the Actiontec (modem+router) for 10yrs now. The new modem they delivered is a Zyxel dedicated modem with a separate router. I'll post photos when I get home but basically the direct line goes into a power supply in the garage and the output feeds into the coax line for the home. The modem has a coax input and modulates the signal into an output RJ45 that you can feed into a router or a PC. If I connect the output to router it works fine. If I feed it back into the wall RJ45 jack I cant get a signal in any other room. Tho the sister RJ11 jack works just fine and I can get wired phone service anywhere in the house.

#6 ·
ok I have more photos - the first 5 are of the FIOS setup in the garage and on the box outside. The last 3 are of the Zyxel modem and wall socket connections

Attachments

#7 ·
Ok. I have a better understanding of your setup. Yes. You can put the modem in the structured wiring cabinet. You mentioned you have a separate router. To provide LAN/Internet connectivity, you need to plug in what ever end corresponds to what's labeled Data on the wall drop in the picture from your last post into the LAN ports on your router. It's unclear which cable this corresponds to as you have blue and green cabling even with the labeling. You'll need to unscrew the wall plate and look behind to see which color cable is terminated on the data jack.

If you want to spin up more LAN drops in your house beyond the number of LAN ports on your router, you'll need to purchase a switch with the number of ports you need or to be able to allow you to plug all the drops labeled Data into the switch. But you need to account for one extra port on the switch to allow you to connect the switch to the router.

#8 ·
I can do that. What is eminently unclear to me is what is the point of all those blue wires connecting into the UX-226 board in the box (from my earlier pictures) - where are all those connections supposed to get an input signal from. I'm missing that wiring diagram - I can probably open up the 226 board and see how it is wired but was hoping to avoid the trouble. If for eg there is a switch sitting behind it I may be able to just feed the output of the modem into the board and voila have connectivity in each room :)

#9 ·
That UX-226 board is not a switch. The point of it is to provide phone service to anything plugged into it. That's why there is a Telco In and RJ31X jack. The Telco In is your phone service from the Telco. The RJ31X jack as I've discussed above is to allow any security system you have to take total control over the phone line to contact the central monitoring office. All the jacks which are part of the board are all bridged into that single Telco In jack so anything you plug in will get phone service. This is why I told you not to plug anything with an Ethernet jack into any wall ports until you figure out what is what. As the ring voltage from the Telco is 48V. Another clue and support for my statement the board is a phone bridge is the references to the color of the stranded cable in the Category cabling. It states the color combinations for each phone line. It's in the box legend on the right labeled T568A. It states Line 1 is BL which means the Blue/Blue White pair is set up for line 1. Line 2 states it is Or which means Orange/Orange White. Line 3 states Gr which means Green/Green White. And finally Line 4 is listed as Br which means Brown/Brown White.

This is why I asked for pictures to confirm what I was guessing from the lack of information on the Internet. Your pictures confirms my statements above.

Even if the UX226 was a switch which it is not, you cannot just plug the modem into a switch and expect anything connected to the switch to get Internet connectivity. The only way this will work is if the modem in question is a modem/router combo. But from what you've stated and from what it appears in the pictures, it looks the Zyxel is a modem only since I don't have the exact model number to confirm and you stated you're using a router with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.