Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What's happening to my laptop screen?

Solved 
2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·

Specs: HP pavilion laptop running Win 10 ...

if you need more information please ask. I have never seen this problem before. Nothing happens when I press around the screen and it's happening more frequently - stays like this for less than a minute each time and then it just fixes itself.

I'm worried that it will stop fixing itself at some point, but this laptop is only two years old :/ Help?

See less See more
#2 ·
HP pavilion laptop running Win 10
What's the model name and complete model number of that HP laptop?
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?
Nothing happens when I press around the screen and it's happening more frequently - stays like this for less than a minute each time and then it just fixes itself
Is that a touchscreen model laptop?

-------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
What's the model name and complete model number of that HP laptop?
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?

Is that a touchscreen model laptop?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Product name:HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Product number:F9A51UA#ABL
No, it's not a touch screen.

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Does this happen with an external monitor, too? I would guess not, but ...

I presume you meant you were pressing around the perimeter of the screen, squeezing on the plastic bezel, trying to detect a loose connection on the LCD itself, right?
I don't have an external monitor to test with. :/

Yes, that's correct. I read somewhere that pressing around the perimeter of the screen might help.

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Does this happen with an external monitor, too? I would guess not, but ...

I presume you meant you were pressing around the perimeter of the screen, squeezing on the plastic bezel, trying to detect a loose connection on the LCD itself, right?

#5 ·
It sure looks like a hardware problem, the LCD itself. A quick check shows replacement screens can be had for $60-70. The screen replacement should be a fairly easy procedure for someone with a little bit of care and patience. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you probably know someone who can.
Did you update to Win10 yourself? Did you have this problem before? It's not likely to be driver related, but it is possible. Do you have a Linux CD you can boot into to see if the screen does the same thing when not using Windows?
Do you feel it may be heat-related? If it does it pretty frequently, and when not stressing the system, maybe it will manifest while you just have the BIOS setup screen open. That, too, would eliminate Windows and any driver issues.
I'd try to eliminate any Windows/driver possibilities before replacing the screen itself. If it does it outside of Windows, then it's most likely a defective LCD.

#6 ·
HP pavilion laptop running Win 10
Product name:HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Product number:F9A51UA#ABL
You appear to have a HP Pavilion 17-e184ca Notebook PC which originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

It appears to have AMD Radeon HD 8650M/8670M dual graphics with 1 GB of dedicated memory.

It has a Windows 10 64-bit graphics driver sp71870.exe which was released on 07/29/2015 and is version 15.200.1055.0.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

---------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
It sure looks like a hardware problem, the LCD itself. A quick check shows replacement screens can be had for $60-70. The screen replacement should be a fairly easy procedure for someone with a little bit of care and patience. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you probably know someone who can.
Did you update to Win10 yourself? Did you have this problem before? It's not likely to be driver related, but it is possible. Do you have a Linux CD you can boot into to see if the screen does the same thing when not using Windows?
Do you feel it may be heat-related? If it does it pretty frequently, and when not stressing the system, maybe it will manifest while you just have the BIOS setup screen open. That, too, would eliminate Windows and any driver issues.
I'd try to eliminate any Windows/driver possibilities before replacing the screen itself. If it does it outside of Windows, then it's most likely a defective LCD.
I did update to Win 10 myself. I don't think I had this problem before then.

It's not heat related. I never stress the system and I always use a cooling pad regardless.

Today while I was booting up my computer I noticed that part of the screen was covered in those things during the HP screen before Windows was loaded (at least I think that's before Win is loaded.... it just had HP logo and a loading thing). Then after it was loaded up it covered the whole screen.

You appear to have a HP Pavilion 17-e184ca Notebook PC which originally came with Windows 8.1 64-bit.

It appears to have AMD Radeon HD 8650M/8670M dual graphics with 1 GB of dedicated memory.

It has a Windows 10 64-bit graphics driver sp71870.exe which was released on 07/29/2015 and is version 15.200.1055.0.

View attachment 246521

---------------------------------------------------------
Is it possible I'm missing a driver from when I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 8? If so how would I know that.

Thanks!

#8 ·
If it exhibited the problem prior to Windows starting (like when the HP splash screen was showing), it sounds like it is not a Windows driver problem. I'd lay odds on it being the screen itself going south.

#13 ·
There's a slight chance the problem is a loose or damaged cable from motherboard to screen, try moving the screen up and down when the problem is showing to see if that makes it stop or not.

This video shows how to dismantle the laptop and should help whoever does the screen replacement if that proves to be necessary, it's in French but if that's a problem the video part is fairly self explanatory :-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.