Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can UPS wattage be increased?? (Just curious)

Solved 
2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  mohittomar13 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 350watts UPS for my desktop system. I'm not in an immediate need to, but was just curious to know if this could be done, (experimental basis) ;):D:rolleyes:
Its a standard 350watts UPS and provide power to my Cpu + monitor + speakers. I have little-moderate knowledge of soldering and electronic parts so if any soldering or something is needed to be done I think I will be able to manage that.
Any idea about how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You would first need to analyze the design of your UPS. If the manufacturer does not offer schematic diagrams and servicing information, you would need to reverse engineer the design yourself. You would then need to determine what parts need to be changed to give you the desired wattage and run time. Any significant increase of either or both parameters would require a redesign of the enclosure to support mounting larger heat sinks, possibly cooling fans, larger transformers, and more or larger batteries.

Purchasing all of the above new items in small quantities would more than likely cost a lot more than just buying a ready made UPS to meet your requirements.

#5 ·
I have a 350watts UPS for my desktop system.
Its a standard 350watts UPS and provide power to my Cpu + monitor + speakers.
I'm guessing you have a 6-outlet model which has 3 outlets on battery backup.
Whether you have a 6-outlet or 8-outlet model, you should use the battery backup outlets for the critical hardware.
Besides the computer and monitor, you should plug in the modem/router into one of the battery backup outlets.
The external speakers, printer, etc. should be plugged into the surge only outlets.
The goal is to keep your computer running and your internet connection active if there's a power flicker or outage.
Just for your information.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Its a compact 3 outlet battery backup UPS. I've connected modem + speaker on one outlet (as it requires very low electricity) and monitor and computer on the remaining two. But thanks for letting me know. (y)

#8 ·
I was planning to get this. It will cost around Rs.13000/USD200 in India but I believe it better serve my purpose. Actually why I asked the question about increasing the power supply was because I'm planning to install Windows 10 and 2 gtx 980 in sli.
Right now I'm using kubuntu with gtx 560ti 448 so didn't need much power to run that. And thanks for your keen interest in giving me the best suggestion about all this..:)

#9 ·
Actually why I asked the question about increasing the power supply was because I'm planning to install Windows 10 and 2 gtx 980 in sli.
Right now I'm using kubuntu with gtx 560ti 448 so didn't need much power to run that.
Whoa! You're focusing on the wrong piece of hardware if you want more wattage in your computer.
It's your computer's power supply that needs more wattage.

A battery backup unit has nothing to do with providing wattage to a computer's graphic card(s).
It's your computer's power supply that does that.

The GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 graphic card uses 210W and requires a minimum of a 550W power supply.
The GeForce GTX 980 graphic card uses 165W and requires a minimum of a 500W power supply.
Installing 2 GTX 980's would use 330 watts and require a much higher wattage power supply.

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of your current power supply?

-------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
ohh sorry my bad... :Dforgot to mention that I will also be upgrading the power supply. Right now I use this (is really a very good SMPS) and planning to replace with this (or something similar) But I had to wait for some time because of budget constraints. My current UPS is this (not so great) with an output voltage of 360watts. Sometimes (mostly while gaming) it even cutout the voltage due to overload protection and that was the reason why I wanted to get a better UPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.