Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying a first camera for an 8 year old

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
I have been give the envious task of buying an eight your old his first camera, although I have taken photos for years with a camera that my wife bought me years ago.
I think that I need some advice on which of the vast aray of cameras types and makes out there, that would be appropriate for that age.
I have an Canon 350d which was bought of my brother about 5 year ago, to tell you the truth after trying to understand the features of the camera it still is double dutch to me.
I also have a handy Canon G9 which if I was so inclined would take me to professional standard, so I was told.
Do I advice a point and shout camera or one more complex.

Thanks guys.

Lockeyp.

#4 ·
then it has to e a point and shot
you will not get a DSLR for that price - and that would be to cumbersome for an eight year old

You just need one that has the ability to also do a lot of the creative work - so creative and manual settings
so if the child does get into photography , they can have some control over the camera - however, a lot of modern cameras tend to work out most conditions automatically now

What country are you in ?

this has a good range
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...us-170-compact-camera-black-10118430-pdt.html
and on offer from currys

i would not worry to much about the size of the image 20MB or 16MB etc
Look at the zoom range - equivalent to 35 mm
28mm is considered wide angle
200mm is a good telephoto

this camera is 25-300 - so a really good range

You will find a lot of camera may have a much shorter range - 35 - 70 - that will probably not do for a child - I would go for the 25-300 as thats a really good range

then the aperture - the smaller the number and range the better
but typically they will be 3-7

You also may want to consider buying a spare battery - last thing you want is to be out and run out of battery - they can be quite cheap online

it will depend on how he/she gets on holding the camera and controlling it

Fuji & Sony & Nikon also have a range of camera
some may have a viewfinder, you put your eye to - others will use the screen on the back of the camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.