Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows10 upgrade a nightmare

Solved 
8K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  4dsmom 
#1 ·
I installed Windows 1 on my Dell Inspiron 2320 without checking for compatibility. I thought that the installation process involved the upgrade checked for compatibility. After the install I had big problems, just a black window and I ended up with MS tech support. I was told my PC as not compatible for Dell didn't install some drivers. After 45 minutes of trying everything to take it back to Windows 7 it took it back. Now many shortcuts on my desktop have "little locks" by them. I am able to open them but why are they there and how do I remove them?
Also the Windows 10 Logo icon is on my task bar telling me it is ready to install. How do I remove that? The installation removed all my restore points and I was going to use a restore point to remove the downloaded file in updates and wherever any others may be. I want NO part of and Windows 10 on my PC, how do I clean them all out?

#2 · (Edited)
You appear to have a Dell Inspiron One 2320 All-In-One desktop.
It does have full driver support for Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8 64-bit.

Although Dell hasn't tested and doesn't provide driver support for that desktop for Windows 10 64-bit, that doesn't mean its devices don't work with Windows 10 64-bit.
According to the description of its devices in the drivers list, it's my guess they do work with Windows 10 64-bit.

What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on that desktop?

Because you had issues with the Windows 10 upgrade and then had issues reverting back to Windows 7 64-bit or Windows 8 64-bit, you may need to do a reinstall and get a fresh start.
We're not there to see what the issues are and how to resolve them, so you may need some "hands on" help from someone who's computer-knowledgeable.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 · (Edited)
My Service tag# is HH4W9Q1 express service code 38041448761
You have this Dell Inspiron One all-in-one desktop.
You should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.
It shipped in December 2011 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
It appears to have these primary devices:
Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 and/or NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M graphics
Realtek ALC269QVC high definition audio
Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless card

Go into the Device Manager, then expand these headings:
Display Adapters
Network Adapters
Sound Video And Game Controllers

What's the exact names of the device(s) listed in each heading?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Go here to download and save the stand-alone version of GWX Control Panel 1.7.2.0 on your desktop.
After that's done, go here so you can view its user guide.
Scroll down to the "How do I block Windows 10?" section, then read the instructions for setting it up.
Make sure to enable the monitor mode feature.

This is what the end result of setting it up looks like in my Windows 7 computer.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Software Parallel

(Click on the image to enlarge and view it)

---------------------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
Double-click these entries to open their properties window:
Intel HD Graphics
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Realtek High Definition Audio

Click the "Driver" tab.
Advise what the exact driver version and driver date is for each device.

Click the "Details" tab only for the graphics device.
Select "Hardware Ids" from the list.
Advise what the exact 4-character code is that follows VEN_ and DEV_ in those strings.
The vendor code will likely be Intel's 8086 code, so it's the device code that's really needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, you want to delete the Windows 10 programs.
You also want to delete the entire $Windows.~BT folder.

-----------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Intel HD Graphics driver version is 9.17.10.3347 the date is 1/29/2014
Intel Centrino Advanced N-6230- driver is 15.15.0.1 the date is 11/17/2014

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller the driver version is 7.46.610.2011, he date is 6/10/2011
Realtec High Definition Audio driver version is 6.0.1.6382 the date is 5/30/2011

This is all I get when clicking on details in graphics device Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology
I cannot find any thing about Hardware IDs

I deleted the Windows 10 Programs and deleted the $Windows~BT folder, now should I clear the cache?
I do appreciate your help immensely

#8 ·
Intel HD Graphics driver version is 9.17.10.3347 the date is 1/29/2014
Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 driver version is 15.15.0.1 the date is 11/17/2014
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller driver version is 7.46.610.2011 the date is 6/10/2011
Realtek High Definition Audio driver version is 6.0.1.6382 the date is 5/30/2011
All 4 of those drivers are out-of-date, but I'm going to assume that all 4 devices are working okay, correct?
Your computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit, correct?
This is all I get when clicking on details in graphics device HD Graphics detail.png I cannot find any thing about Hardware IDs
If you click the down arrow next to "Device description", a list of names will appear.
Click on "Hardware Ids", which should be near the top of the list.
One or more strings will appear in the "Value" pane.
I need to see an image of that window.
I deleted the Windows 10 Programs and deleted the $Windows~BT folder, now should I clear the cache?
Okay, good.
Leave the "Click to clear Windows update cache" button alone.

#10 · (Edited)
All the drivers appear to be working fine, no problems that I know of.
Okay, good.
There's no compelling reason to update those drivers, and unless you really know how to update them, it can cause even more problems.

According to vendor code 8086 and device code 0102, your computer actually has an Intel HD Graphics 3000 integrated graphics device.

Brown Rectangle Beige Tints and shades Font

Font Horizon Rectangle

You're no longer being nagged about Windows 10 since using GWX Control Panel, correct?

#11 ·
you are correct, Windows 10 icon is gone from taskbar beside clock, right now the only "evidence" I can see that was left behind is the little locks on some of my shortcuts on the desktop, which aren't causing me any problems. Just am curious to know why they are there.
Once again I thank you very much for all your help. I have learned (I think) to let well enough alone. Mother always said if it ain't broke, don't fix it. She was so right.

Attachments

#15 ·
I did some research on the padlocks, and I found the reason and the solution. I hope it helps some others.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-...-windows-7-10-i-have-padlocks-everywhere.html

I had the same problem and I had to remove each of them manually:

1-Right-click on the folder with the lock icon and select Properties. Switch to the Security tab, and then press the Edit… button.
2-A list of groups and users that have access to the folder appears. Missing from the list will be the "Users" group. Click the Add… button.
3-Enter "Users" into the text field. Click the Check Names button or click OK. "Users" will change to the location of the Users group on your particular computer.
4-The Users group should now appear in the list of Groups and Users with access to the folder. You can modify the permissions there. I clicked Full and all went back to how it was before downgrading from Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.