Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vista and web browsers not supported

Solved 
2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  rumi 
#1 ·
Hi, thanks in advance for any help,

I have windows vista (home premium) on a desktop, recently internet explorer has stopped being supported and I am not able to access some applications. (khan academy for example). I have started using google chrome, but now I am beginning to get messages that updates will not be supported there either. What should I be doing ??

thanks

Rumi

#4 ·
you may not be able to upgrade the PC - depends on the specification and if the manufacturer has the drivers available for later windows versions

post back the make and exact model of the PC - also it may have a service tag number - please post that as well

you could use firefox until they support support

#5 ·
Hi, sorry to be a while.

This is the sys-info report from running the TSG program.

====================================
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3581 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7500 LE, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 233271 MB, Free - 121004 MB; D: Total - 5200 MB, Free - 669 MB; H: Total - 953869 MB, Free - 867054 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., LEONITE
Antivirus: Avira Antivirus, Disabled
=====================================

The PC is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion Desktop. model no. = t3777 cant find a service tag number ??

Thank you for your help.

Rumi

#7 ·
HP Pavilion Media Center t3777.uk Desktop PC
It was introduced in January 2007 and sold in the U.K. and came with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit.
It looks like you already maxed it out with 4 GB of RAM, so that's good.
Its NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE graphics and Realtek ALC888S audio and Intel 82562V ethernet all have driver support for Windows 7 32-bit.
The one negative that I see to its hardware specs is its Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86 GHz processor.

If it had a faster processor and if a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit could easily be found for a decent price, I would say "go for it".
Unfortunately, a legitimate "Retail" or "OEM Builder" copy is hard to find and is expensive.
For about $200.00(U.S.), you can buy a newer and faster refurbished desktop which already comes with Windows 7.
I don't know if www.newegg.com sells and ships to the U.K., but it has a very large selection of refurbished desktops with Windows 7.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
Windows Vista doesn't allow you to use a version newer than Internet Explorer 9, so that's why you have compatibility issues with it in certain websites.
Mozilla Firefox (current version is 42.0.2) can be used with Windows Vista as a secondary browser.
It's what I use in Windows XP for the same reason.

There's no need to buy a copy of Windows 7 - which is hard to find and is expensive.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
Thank you Wayne and Frank, It doesn't look like the future is particularly rosy for my (not that old) desktop, but at least I understand the playing field now. I'm going to mark this as solved, install firefox and look for a refurbished tower.

Thanks again , Rumi

#14 ·
It's too bad your old HP desktop isn't a 2009 or newer model because it would've giving you a lot more upgrade options.
My refurbished Dell OptiPlex 780 minitower desktops run Windows 7 64-bit quite well, and I recently installed Windows 10 64-bit in one of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.