Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

windows updates was shut off now have 130 updates

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I have an HP computer with windows 7 64 bit. My updates were turned off. Now it says I have 130 updates to install. How do I know what ones I should install.

#2 ·
What's the model name and complete model number of your HP computer?
What's the exact product number(P/N) on it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

The Service Pack 1(SP1) upgrade for Windows 7 64-bit was released in March 2011, and there have been about 200 updates released since then.
If yours is showing about 130 updates to be installed, you probably haven't installed any updates in about 3 years.

There are several updates that have been released since July 2015 that are associated with nagging you and trying to force Windows 10 on you.
KB2952664 and KB3035583 are the 2 worse offenders, so make sure to deselect and hide them.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
If you have years of updates, I would do the oldest first.
As you click on an update, it will tell you the date in the right hand column.

I'd only tackle about 10 - 20 at a time then reboot before I tried any more.

It isn't a great idea to install all of them at once. You will also discover that as you install some, other updates will appear so you may end up with more than 130 updates that need to be installed.

#4 ·
All of them. Windows Update is listing all the updates the are missing on your computer and will install only those it needs. After the first round it will probably list more, continue checking until no more are available. You don't need to waste time looking and reading the info on each one. If you do not want Windows 10 then you find and unselect or hide those updates mentioned by Frank.

#5 ·
The model name is s5713w The product number is BV605AA#ABA. I do have sp1. I have downloaded updates through 08/15. I hid the two updates as you suggested. I do not want to update to windows 10. The list is now down to 73 important and 8 optional. before I continue downloading are there any other updates since August 2015 I should hide.

#7 ·
The model name is s5713w The product number is BV605AA#ABA. I do have sp1.
You have a HP Pavilion Slimline s5713w Desktop PC.
It was introduced in December 2010 and sold in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
The SP1 upgrade was released 4 months later, so yours may or may not have originally come with it.
Either way, it's obvious that SP1 is installed, or else your computer probably wouldn't be getting the "Get Windows 10" updates and nag notices.

Pay attention to what Terry said in post #6.
KB3035583 is the primary offender and needs to be prevented from being installed.

------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.