Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

disk clone with AOMEI

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
hello,
I'm trying to understand how to make an exact copy of my system C: , and I understood I can use AOMEI and create a clone.
I know the differences between a clone and an image and a clone is exactly what I need, as I understood it keeps all the settings, softwares, updates... exactly everything as it is.

Main doubt: where and how do I recall / evoke this clone?
for example, I have 2 disks, an SSD , C: , where i have my windows installation and that's what I want to clone.
I'd like to clone in an external HHD, usb connected. but then how do I get it back ?

AOMEI suggested me to clone it to another SSD, exactly the same SSD that I have now up and running... ok, but how would I connect this SSD to my laptop? I couldn't do this via usb port would I?

any suggestion is welcome!

#2 ·
Hi,

I use Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to my SSD and today my PC is running on my SSD. Made an exact copy of my HDD. Go to the site below nd click on the Free Edition.
http://www.macrium.com/

Before you do anything I would go over the You Tube video , showing you how to do it

Bear in mind this is a suggestion, I'm just sharing with you my own experience and it worked for me and might work for you but it's at your own risk.

#3 ·
I need to ask the op on why he/she wants to clone ? Imaging is a much better solution.

#4 ·
An image does the same thing as a clone but instead of wasting a drive it puts it into a single file for easy restoring while allowing that drive to be used for other things. If you clone your C drive to your external than it will wipe out everything on the external and replace it with a copy of the C drive. An image will not do that and leave all your files on the external intact and just create a single, or small group of files, with an image of the C drive. A clone is only useful for an immediate drive replacement, for a backup its the wrong thing to use.

You absolutely would use a USB connected drive. To restore you would boot from the cloning software's bootable media, either a CD\DVD or a USB stick and choose the external drive as the source and the internal laptop drive as the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.