Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotted vertical line separator in taskbar

Solved 
8K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  managed 
#1 ·
Up until yesterday I had a neat vertical dotted line separating some of my folders in the taskbar. Suddenly it disappeared, as did three of my folders. I've put the folders back but want to keep them apart from others and can't remember how I created the line. I've Googled this numerous times but can only find the empty folder solution which I can't seem to make work.

Can anybody please tell me in simple terms how to reinstall the separator?

#6 ·
Have you enabled Quick Launch in the Taskbar settings? Your image doesn't appear to show that being the case. Your shortcuts are all on the Task Bar, not in the Quick Launch. The little dots forming a seperator only show up with Quick Launch enabled. With Quick Launch enabled, you click\hold and slide it to the left where you want the seperator..

This image of my set-up on a WinXP Pro using Windows Classic display mode, has the two small arrows which allow me to slide it back and forth to display shortcuts of my choice.
Rectangle Font Magenta Wood Flooring

This HowToGeek article may be of some help.

#7 ·
I searched for Quick Launch and a message came up. This is what it said:
What happened to the Quick Launch toolbar?

The Quick Launch toolbar isn't included in this version of Windows. To open programs quickly, you can pin them to the taskbar. For more information, see Pin a program to the taskbar.
To open files, folders, or websites quickly, you can pin them to the program's Jump List. You can use Jump Lists to get to recently-opened items. For more information, see Using Jump Lists to open programs and items.

There have been a few little glitches lately but I'm at a loss as to understand why. My first thought was a Windows update but when I looked I had a few weeks worth to install. I have Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 just as I have always had. I'm stumped.

#10 ·
I don't know what's happening but when I logged on today Quick Launch had disappeared along with the shortcuts I had pinned to it. Something must be turning it off. I've put it all back but how long will it stay this time? Does anyone have any ideas because I surely don't?

#13 ·
Dave, I checked on the link you gave above but when I followed the advice given I couldn't find Taskband or Favourites. However, I have been to HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\policies\explorer. I then changed the value of both NoActiveDesktop files from 1 to 0. So far, Quick Launch has remained but I don't know if this is only a temporary solution. We shall see - watch this space!
Thank to everyone who has made suggestions and comments.

#14 ·
I've not had dotted lines on mine since I don't know when. I also do not have them on my Vista machine, either with the QL locked or unlocked. Below is from my W7 machine.

Font Screenshot Technology Gadget Electric blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.