Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Write protected

987 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  bobs-here 
#1 ·
Have been using a San Disk Glide 8G flash drive. For no reason(known by me) I cannot format this drive. It informs me it is write protected. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
some USB drives and SD cards have a physical lock switch that turns on write protection. check to make sure that the drive does not have this lock enabled.

if not...
Run UsbFix to scan your USB drives. This is a free, open-source program designed to find problems with USB drives and Windows USB drivers. download UsbFix for free from filehippo.
Click "Research" after launching UsbFix.
Click "Clean" after the scan has completed.
Test your USB drives again. this came from the following link which has a guide and step by step for write protection on usb's :
http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Write-Protection

#7 ·
Firefly..I haven't tried to write to it. I'm trying to format it..however i did put it into usb port on my printer. It still wouldn't format. Its exasperating to say the least..Thanks for your post. Also tried the safe mode approach. That didn't work either. About ready to pitch it. My wife is legally blind so we download books from BARD on these flash drives. Been doing it for about 4 years now & this flash drive is the first we have had trouble with. BARD is a government website for the blind. Thanks again. Dub.

#8 · (Edited)
Firefly..I haven't tried to write to it. I'm trying to format it..however i did put it into usb port on my printer. It still wouldn't format. Its exasperating to say the least..Thanks for your post. Also tried the safe mode approach. That didn't work either. About ready to pitch it. Dub.
before ditching it there is a small guide in this link that offers a resolve for write protected flashdrives. worth a try.. see the page:
http://ccm.net/faq/4214-how-to-disable-write-protection-from-a-usb-key

a save in system restore will help, too before starting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.