Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrading OS

546 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Headrush 
#1 ·
I have been advised to install/reinstall a fresh OS because the suspicion is that I have been hacked.
I wish to upgrade my Yosemite to El Capitan by using the Upgrade option on my current Yosemite
version, but I understand that the operation must be a new install and not just an upgrade otherwise I just carry the problem with me.
I have copied and tired all the data I wish to preserve, but I do not understand what exactly will happen to all my applications. Some came with the OS but many have been purchased as and when I needed them.
I have a 2013 iMAC

Do I lose the lot, or some or do I have an option on which ones I can keep?

#2 ·
If you do a clean install, (which is what you want when you think you've been hacked), you will lose your install apps.

You should backup Applications you need. It's best if you have the original installer (if the application had one) or if you can redownload the installer from the application's home page. If you have not recorded your user name and passwords for these applications, you should run them and often they can be found in the About this application menu item.

If the applications are from the Apple App store, you can redownload them after the clean OS install no issues.
If you aren't using an email service that has online backups or management (aka iCloud, Gmail) you will want to backup any important emails also.

I always backup my ~/Library folder also, because always find I forget something or need a specific application preference file for some reason.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.