Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan To Email using Epson Printer

Solved 
21K views 48 replies 4 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 4010 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1813 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 596026 MB, Free - 530511 MB; D: Total - 14000 MB, Free - 7211 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc.,
Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled
I HAVE ONLY ONE EMAIL CLIENT, THUNDERBIRD which Epson will no longer recognize when using their, Scan To Email, feature. When my Epson XP 810 Printer was new I complained to Epson that their program recognized only, Windows Live Mail, (and it still does). Epson accommodated me and, Voila, I was then able to use Thunderbird & successfully transmitted many scanned items using their, Scan To Email, feature on their printer. About 3 weeks ago I could NO LONGER use Thunderbird as their program reverted back to only recognize, Windows Live Mail, for their, Scan To Email, feature. I again contacted Epson who informed me that Thunderbird uses a web based system which is not compatible with Epson and that they had given me a 6 month fix (?) only. They would not budge. SUCH NONSENSE! If it works temporarily then why not permanently???
Does anyone know what I must do so that I can once again use the, Scan To Email, feature using Thunderbird?
Thanks. John ... a frustrated old sub man.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
this is a very old post and talks about XP
But it may work for you , on windows 10
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=151954
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/affixa-support/6vhd_jCRy2M

the file content in windows 7 is the same as shown on the forum
C:\Program Files (x86)\EPSON Software\Event Manager\Assistants\Attach To Email
and on windows 10 - likely to be the same
However if you use file explorer and search for
MailerDB.ini
THANKS WAYNE. I think that I almost got it but I can't find where to click OK or Apply or whatever to complete the entry. Hopefully, the below Paste will show what I did. John
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;; Mailer Database
;;
Code: Select all
[Thunderbird]
Type=Mapi
MapiPath=$DefaultPath$
Mapi32Dll=*
ExePath=*
ExeName=*

[Outlook Express]
Type=Mapi
MapiPath=$DefaultPath$
Mapi32Dll=*
ExePath=*
ExeName=*

#5 ·
HI, Wayne, I'm still stymied. In the MailerDB.ini window where I added Thunderbird, I then clicked on File, the

HI Wayne, I'm still stymied. After I entered Thunderbird in the MailerDB.ini window then I clicked on FILE, then SAVE. A new message popped up, "Confirm Save As. MailerDB.ini already exists. Do you want to replace it?" I can't get past this message. I tried the Scan To Email again and still see ONLY, Windows Live Mail. So close but no cigar! John

#6 ·
make a copy of the orginal .ini file
and then when you are asked to overwrite/replace the file you can and if anything goes wrong you can go back to the original

Are you logged in as administrator

the alternative is to save with a different name say
MailerDB_new.ini
then using file explorer
got to the location both files are in
rename the original
MailerDB.ini
something like
MailerDB_orig.ini

then goto
MailerDB_new.ini
and rename that to
MailerDB.ini

it maybe the file is locked by the system
in which case you may need to use safemode to change the file name

#7 ·
and then when you are asked to overwrite/replace the file you can and if anything goes wrong you can go back to the original

MailerDB_new.ini
then using file explorer
rename the original
MailerDB.ini
something like
MailerDB_orig.ini

then goto
MailerDB_new.ini
and rename that to
MailerDB.ini

MailerDB_new.ini
then using file explorer
rename the original
MailerDB.ini
something like
MailerDB_orig.ini

then goto
MailerDB_new.ini
and rename that to
MailerDB.ini

THANKS WAYNE. Apparently, I'm not logged in as the administrator. When I tried to SAVE, MailerDB_new.ini , I got this message, "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission." I always thought I was the administrator from when I bought this laptop new. How do I set myself up as the administrator? John

#8 ·
goto
control panel (right click on the white windows logo, and choose from menu)
users
and see what you are set to
Standard
or
Admin

I would expect you to be admin

who setup the PC
was this an upgrade to W10

#9 ·
goto
control panel (right click on the white windows logo, and choose from menu)
users
and see what you are set to
Standard
or
Admin

I would expect you to be admin

who setup the PC
was this an upgrade to W10
WAYNE: Control Panel - pulled up User Accounts which shows, "John Local Accounts Administrator." I was the one that set up this laptop. When I was offered the free upgrade to W10, I accepted. John

#11 ·
HI WAYNE. This old man is already well over his head in computer usage. Where will I find location folder? When found then how do I create a new file? Thinking that I may have goofed initially, I just tried again to SAVE, "MailerDB_new.ini" and got the same message, "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission." I'm obviously still a novice. John

#12 ·
OK
the location will be the folder that the mailerDB.ini file is actually located

mine is located in

and i can edit or create a new file

to create a new file
you can open notepad
and then save as
and navigate to the folder and then save
OR
using file expolorer you can navigate to that folder
right click
New
Text file

i'm not sure why as an administrator on the PC , you are not getting permission to save files in that location

what location is the file in on your PC ?

#13 ·
OK
the location will be the folder that the mailerDB.ini file is actually located

mine is located in

and i can edit or create a new file

to create a new file
you can open notepad
and then save as
and navigate to the folder and then save
OR
using file expolorer you can navigate to that folder
right click
New
Text file

i'm not sure why as an administrator on the PC , you are not getting permission to save files in that location

what location is the file in on your PC ?
WAYNE: Please bear with me - I'm trying to understand your instructions. 1) By "FILE" I assume you mean, "MailerDB.ini". 2) If so, I find it in, "Attach To Email", the same string that you say your's is in. 3) The window containing four items, the last one is, MailerDB.ini When I right click on MailerDB.ini, a menu pops up saying, OPEN, PRINT, etc. but there is no NEW and TEXT FILE. 4) When I click on OPEN the next window displays MailerDB.ini-Notepad, then below displays Mailer Database then displays all the email clients. When I click on FILE then NEW the new window says UNTITLED-NOTEPAD and the cursor is blinking in the body of the blank message area BUT there is no TEXT for me to click on. I'm sorry about my lack of understanding and do appreciate your continued patience with this novice. John

#14 ·
I right click on MailerDB.ini, a menu pops up saying, OPEN, PRINT, etc.
choose "open with"
choose notepad (make sure there is no option to "always open with" )

now add the new text you want

and then "Save"

what happens

WAYNE: Please bear with me
we will here, and take your time and just do as your doing - asking
I'm sorry about my lack of understanding and do appreciate your continued patience with this novice. John
your welcome John

#15 ·
choose "open with"
choose notepad (make sure there is no option to "always open with" )

now add the new text you want

and then "Save"

what happens

we will here, and take your time and just do as your doing - asking
your welcome John
OK thanks Wayne. I right clicked on MailerDB.ini and clicked Open With and chose Notepad and all the email clients were displayed under Mailer-Database. Then, as before, I Copied the Outlook Express item and Pasted it at the top of the list and then changed that to Thunderbird then added a space for separation. Then I clicked SAVE and got the same message that do I want to replace MailerDB.ini and clicking Save produced , that I did not have permission .... I then tried changing to, MailerDB_new.ini and got the same message. Did I do something wrong? John

#18 ·
no, i dont think you are doing anything wrong, its a PC setting on that folder for some reason

Try creating the file and saving in
my documents folder
THANKS WAYNE & ROLLIN_AGAIN. Under Mailer - Database, I again set up Thunderbird at the top of the email client list,clicked on FILE, SAVE (6 times before next window opened), then on the left hand side, under This PC, I clicked on Documents which then replaced, Attach To Email, at the top of that window. I then clicked SAVE. I then opened the Documents folder but could not find MailerDB.ini or any other name under today's date 5/29/16. NOTE: 1) On the assumption that the SAVE did not take, I again went to Mailer - Database [Thunderbird] and clicked on SAVE about 20 times BUT the next window would NOT open. Stymied again. 2) Just wondering, under Control Panel, User Accounts, could my listing as Administrator be corrupted and that's why it doesn't give me permission? If so, can it be deleted and added back in .... How to do that? John

#19 ·
I again set up Thunderbird at the top of the email client list,clicked on FILE, SAVE (6 times before next window opened),
when you click on save - nothing should open again
nor should a NEXT

open notepad from Start>all programs
and any text and then save into my documents folder
lets see if you can create a standard notepad file

#20 ·
when you click on save - nothing should open again
nor should a NEXT

open notepad from Start>all programs
and any text and then save into my documents folder
lets see if you can create a standard notepad file
CAN'T DO IT, WAYNE. When I click on the W10 white windows logo (former Start) I have no All Programs But Notepad is listed above under Most Used. Clicking on that Notepad produces a window titled, Untitled - Notepad. I typed in, test-test-test, then under FILE, clicked SAVE. The next window displayed at top left, SAVE AS, and then, This PC-Documents. All the items I ever saved on this laptop are then listed. At the bottom it says File Name *.txt and below that, Text Document (*.txt) The word SAVE in lower right is outlined with a border of blue. When my cursor touches SAVE the blue outline disappears and when clicked it will NOT save and that window does not move. Note: I got the same results when I replaced, This PC-Documents, with just, Documents. John

#21 ·
Sorry, windows 10 calls them
"All Apps" now rather than the older "All Programs"

you need to give the file a name
so
*.txt
needs to be change to a name you want to know the file as

john.txt

#22 ·
Sorry, windows 10 calls them
"All Apps" now rather than the older "All Programs"

you need to give the file a name
so
*.txt
needs to be change to a name you want to know the file as

john.txt
VOILA, YOU DID IT, WAYNE! As you instructed I changed the name to, john.txt and clicked SAVE (it worked even when the blue outline disappeared around Save. The Notepad with test-test-test popped up but now it was named, john.txt - Notepad, instead of, Untitled - Notepad. I then went into, This PC-Documents, and there was the new folder, john.txt - Notepad, with my test message. I'm so excited that you've got me running on all eight cylinders ... now I'm ready for the next step! John

#24 ·
NO ... DOESN'T WORK. I went through the same string as before, C:\Program Files (x86) , etc ... to MailerDB.ini which I opened, added Thunderbird, clicked FILE, SAVE and changed FILE NAME to, MailerDB_new.ini I kept, Save as type, Text Documents (*.txt). Clicked SAVE at bottom right & got the same message, "You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact administrator to obtain permission." If this is not what you wanted me to do, Wayne, then please be very specific. Thanks for your patience. John

#25 ·
yes thats exactly what i wanted you to do
save a text file in the folder

now goto the "attach to email" folder
right click on it

Choose Properties
then click on the security tab
and then click on a user
which should be something like
Administrators John \ Administrator

see my attached screen shot - see if yours is the same

Attachments

#27 ·
yes thats exactly what i wanted you to do
save a text file in the folder

now goto the "attach to email" folder
right click on it

Choose Properties
then click on the security tab
and then click on a user
which should be something like
Administrators John \ Administrator

see my attached screen shot - see if yours is the same
SORRY, WAYNE, IT DOES NOT OPEN- can't find anything like your screen shot. My, Attach To Email -Properties-Securities window displays 6 items: All Application Packages, Creator Owner, System, Administrators(MININT-LDH4SUS\Administrators, Users(MININT-LDH4SUS\Users, Trusted Installer . Left clicking on Users or Administrators merely highlighted each in blue. Right clicking on either one did nothing. Then double clicking left or right on either one did nothing. Neither one opened. John

#26 ·
it boggles my mind that the mailto: protocol (opens in the defaulted mail client) doesn't work with epson but is fine on others.

Is there any reason you can't do scan to PC (PDF) just to save time in researching/trying to circumvent Epson's software?

#29 · (Edited)
I HAVE NOT YET TRIED JAMES SUGGESTION BECAUSE I TRULY WOULD LIKE TO REGAIN USE OF THUNDERBIRD USING EPSON'S, SCAN TO EMAIL. I'm having the devil of a time with this laptop due to the interruptions caused by the continuous on and off display of message, "The upload folder for ICloud Photos is missing. It has been moved or deleted. Open ICloud to pick a new folder." (I don't know how to do this) ... And at the same time it makes my Task Bar RAPIDLY disappear & reappear continuously so that I can't do anything while this is ongoing ... for hours. I'm at my wits end to stop this. I have to shut down and then restart the laptop. It always happens when I try to open a picture to send, ie, like the Screen Shot of my supposed Administrator under Control Panel-User Accounts, that I wanted to send you. When I clicked on that Screen Shot it turned blue, then right click and Open. Then a message always pops up, "Wait operation timed out" and will not open so that I could copy & paste to you.
Just thinking, is it possible to change administrator to my wife's name and then immediately change it to my name? I started this reply about 4 1/2 hours ago - frustrating! John

#30 ·
sounds like a few things going on now

If you are administrator , you can create a new user
control panel > users
create a new user and make admin
then you will have two users on the PC

"The upload folder for ICloud Photos is missing.
icloud photos , is usually only added to a PC when you install the Apple Icloud control panel
Have you done this
Do you have an ipad or iphone you have synced with the PC at all?

And at the same time it makes my Task Bar RAPIDLY disappear & reappear continuously so that I can't do anything while this is ongoing ... for hours.
Is the task bar set to auto hide , so when the mouse is moved away from the bottom of the PC Screen the taskbar disappears ?

Windows 10
Did the PC come with windows 10 or has it been upgrade from a previous windows version ?

For screen shots - the snipping tool is very good

you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 10 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/
To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Would you do the following please
-------------------------------------------------------------

Lets do a system file check, and check the Windows files.

System File Checker - SFC /scannow

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

For Windows 8 or Windows 10
To open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop.
Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.​

For windows version, XP, Vista, W7
open the command prompt as administrator
Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

SFC /scannow
This will take some time to scan and you will get 1 of 4 possible results​

1. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. - This means that you do not have any missing or corrupted system files.
  2. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
  3. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
  4. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

If you do receive the message in 3 or 4
Lets see a log file

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

• This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.
  • Copy and Paste the contents of the file into your next post.
=================================================================

#33 · (Edited)

control panel > users

icloud photos , is usually only added to a PC when you install the Apple Icloud control panel
Have you done this

Is the task bar set to auto hide , so when the mouse is moved away from the bottom of the PC Screen the taskbar disappears ?

Windows 10
Did the PC come with windows 10 or has it been upgrade from a previous windows version ?

you can use the snipping tool > Open Snipping Tool (From the Windows 10 Start Screen, type "snip" and press enter.)
To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-run-system-file-checker-analyze-its-logs-in-windows-7-vista

Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

SFC /scannow

1. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. - This means that you do not have any missing or corrupted system files.
  2. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
  3. Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.

Lets see a log file

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

• This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.

control panel > users

Have you done this

Windows 10

SFC /scannow

Lets see a log file

THANKS, WAYNE. I AM VERY THANKFUL FOR YOUR ADVICE BUT SOME HAS COMPLETELY BEFUDDLED THIS NOVICE OLD MAN. I really do need specific instructions ... click on Start, ,click on ___, etc. I'll answer as best I can. Snipping Tool - typed snip in Search then Enter. there were 4 choices, so I went with NEW. But nowhere did I see, Go Advanced and Manage Attachments. Also, I did not find these 2 items when I pull up Screen Shots. Where located & how to get there?
CONTROL PANEL- User Accounts-Manage Another Account-Choose a User Account That You Want To Change- (the only one shown is me ... picture of sailboat on beach, John Local Account Administrator. WHY CHANGE?? Never-the-less, in trying to add my wife's name as administrator I had to sign in to Microsoft - email address - to no avail would any of my passwords work. To reset PW, I was referred to the Web- account.live.com/pw but those links did not seem to work for me.
Auto Hide - All items are displayed on the Taskbar. There is no check mark for Auto Hide.
Win 10 - was offered as a free upgrade from Win 7.
Apple ICloud - Yes. Our daughter gave us her old Ipad and Iphone, installed ICloud and synced both devices to laptop.
COMMAND PROMPT ADMINISTRATOR - WHEN opened a black screen with white letters & blinking cursor at end of, C:\WINDOWS\system32> . At the blinking cursor I typed, WinX and this message displayed: "WinX is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." When I typed, Win+X then I got the same message. I'm obviously doing something wrong ... HELP. Please be specific .
BALANCE OF ITEMS; I'M stumped and need explicite hand holding to proceed. Sorry. John

#31 ·
I get the rapid up/down on the taskbar too in Windows 10... usually something is active is making come up. I assume you have autohide on... right click on an empty space of the taskbar > Properties. Uncheck auto-hide

Is Thunderbird set as your Mail default?

If Epson is not allowing Thunderbird to use, then that's their decision. If you don't want that, there are printers that will send emails directly to your receipient, without having to go through a mail client.

#32 ·
THANKS, JAMES. i'M REALLY NOT IGNORING YOU IT IS JUST THAT I AM OVERWHELMED WITH INSTRUCTIONS FROM WAYNE. My taskbar items show all the time. There is NO check mark for, Auto Hide. Yes, Thunderbird is my only email client and it is set as DEFAULT. I really like this small Epson printer that includes FAX and double sided printing. If Wayne ever gives up on me then I'll get back to your 1st reply to my post suggesting an alternative. John

#34 ·
ok , lets do 1 thing at a time now and first lets do a sfc /scannow

different instructions for windows 10

On the white windows logo - at the bottom left hand side
right click on that logo
a menu should appear
one of the options will be
"command prompt (Admin)"
click on that option
Now a black window should appear

in that windows type

SFC /scannow

This will take some time to scan , you will see a % figure as the scan progresses
at the end you will get 1 of 4 possible results

Lets see a log file

Type

#35 ·
ok , lets do 1 thing at a time now and first lets do a sfc /scannow

different instructions for windows 10

On the white windows logo - at the bottom left hand side
right click on that logo
a menu should appear
one of the options will be
"command prompt (Admin)"
click on that option
Now a black window should appear

in that windows type

SFC /scannow

This will take some time to scan , you will see a % figure as the scan progresses
at the end you will get 1 of 4 possible results

Lets see a log file

Type

OK, WAYNE, THANKS FOR GUIDING ME, IT HELPS. I DID THE SCAN AND AT THE END IT DISPLAYED ONLY A
1 Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. I CLOSED OUT THE COMMAND PROMPT. John

#36 · (Edited)
i'm running out of ideas, so we may have to defer to James alternative suggestions at some point
But the next thing I would try is setting up a new user on the PC and see if you can then edit the file in the epson folder , or if its locked

It would appear to be a permissions issue on that folder , and usually administrators should not have a problem , and we have confirmed you are an administrator.
unless Windows 10 has some other layer of security. My Windows 10 PC has broken, so i cant test right now

With windows 10 you can have two types of user
a) Local user - a simple user on the PC
b) Microsoft Account user - links an email address to the PC as a user, which is what is was trying to do before

The local user is the better way to go for this test
here is a guide , with screen shots - so have a read of that first
http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a-new-local-user-account-in-windows-10/
This is another Link of how to setup a new user - so also read this, go down the page to a title
Option 3
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5440-user-account-add-windows-10-a.html
you only want to add a new "local User" NOT a Microsoft Account user
You dont have to set a password and can just call the user TEST or something like that - we can remove the account after
Make sure you setup the new user with Administrator and NOT limited/standard user
The link i posted above, shows you how to do that as well - read further down the page
But heres another link with screenshots , on how to change an account- read down to Option 1
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6917-account-type-change-windows-10-a.html

have a good read of those two links , so you can see what has to be done , before making any changes.

then once created, log into the TEST account , and see if you can now modify the Epson .ini file

#37 ·
i'm running out of ideas, so we may have to defer to James alternative suggestions at some point
But the next thing I would try is setting up a new user on the PC and see if you can then edit the file in the epson folder , or if its locked

It would appear to be a permissions issue on that folder , and usually administrators should not have a problem , and we have confirmed you are an administrator.
unless Windows 10 has some other layer of security. My Windows 10 PC has broken, so i cant test right now

With windows 10 you can have two types of user
a) Local user - a simple user on the PC
b) Microsoft Account user - links an email address to the PC as a user, which is what is was trying to do before

The local user is the better way to go for this test
here is a guide , with screen shots - so have a read of that first
http://www.howtogeek.com/226540/how-to-create-a-new-local-user-account-in-windows-10/
This is another Link of how to setup a new user - so also read this, go down the page to a title
Option 3
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5440-user-account-add-windows-10-a.html
you only want to add a new "local User" NOT a Microsoft Account user
You dont have to set a password and can just call the user TEST or something like that - we can remove the account after
Make sure you setup the new user with Administrator and NOT limited/standard user
The link i posted above, shows you how to do that as well - read further down the page
But heres another link with screenshots , on how to change an account- read down to Option 1
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6917-account-type-change-windows-10-a.html

have a good read of those two links , so you can see what has to be done , before making any changes.

then once created, log into the TEST account , and see if you can now modify the Epson .ini file
OK, WAYNE. I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS AND NOW UNDER CONTROL PANEL - USER ACCOUNTS, I NOW SEE, DEE LOCAL ACCOUNT ADMINISTRATOR When I clicked on it all that displayed were boxes to, Change, Remove, but nowhere to log in. I shut down the laptop. When I started up again it went directly to the usual, "John Welcome", and the usual desktop screen. Nowhere did it give me a chose to select, Dee Local Administrator, for log in. WHERE DO I DO THAT? .... so that I can go back and try to add Thunderbird to, Scan To Email? OR, DID I GOOF SOMEWHERE? John

#39 ·
OK, WAS ABLE TO GET TO, DEE LOCAL ACCOUNT ADMINISTRATOR BUT AFTER TYPING IN THE PASSWORD I GOT THIS MESSAGE, "The User Profile Service service failed the sign in. User profile cannot be loaded." Did I mess up by mistakenly including a password? John

#40 ·
no,
i think there is something wrong with the PC , not sure what , as SFC worked OK

how long have you had the PC
Did it come with windows 10 or did you upgrade at all ?

#41 ·
no,
i think there is something wrong with the PC , not sure what , as SFC worked OK

how long have you had the PC
Did it come with windows 10 or did you upgrade at all ?
CAN'T REMEMBER PURCHASE DATE BUT THINK ABOUT 5 YEARS OLD. CAME PREINSTALLED WITH W7 HOME PREMIUM EDITION. ABOUT A YEAR AGO THERE WAS A MS (??) OFFER OF A FREE, SOON TO BE RELEASED, UPGRADE TO W10 WHICH I ACCEPTED AND WAS PUT ON THE WAITING LIST. ABOUT A MONTH LATER I WAS NOTIFIED THAT W10 WAS AVAILABLE AND I DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED IT. John

#42 ·
ok, so an upgrade
not sure what to suggest now as the permissions and creating users do not appear to be working correctly , although SFC reports windows files all OK

i'll have a think

#43 ·
I have asked for someone else to have a look at the the thread, so you may get some replies from other members
Also James and Rollin_again, may still be subscribed to the thread and also may reply

#44 ·
I have asked for someone else to have a look at the the thread, so you may get some replies from other members
Also James and Rollin_again, may still be subscribed to the thread and also may reply
HI WAYNE. NOT HEARING FROM YOU FOR QUITE AWHILE LEADS ME TO THINK THAT YOUR THINKING CAP HAS NOT PRODUCED ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS. ALSO, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS FROM ANY OTHERS. IS IT TIME FOR ME TO CLOSE OUT THIS UNRESOLVED POST? AGAIN, MANY THANKS FOR YOUR UNTIRING EFFORTS. JOHN

#46 ·
HI WAYNE. NOT HEARING FROM YOU FOR QUITE AWHILE LEADS ME TO THINK THAT YOUR THINKING CAP HAS NOT PRODUCED ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS. ALSO, I HAVE NOT HAD ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS FROM ANY OTHERS. IS IT TIME FOR ME TO CLOSE OUT THIS UNRESOLVED POST? AGAIN, MANY THANKS FOR YOUR UNTIRING EFFORTS. JOHN
No,sorry, have no further suggestions i'm afraid
Wayne: Our grandson had a business meeting nearby, surprised us & stayed overnight in a quickee, whirlwind visit & today went back to WI. He solved my problem. After you worked so hard and long for me on this problem I thought you might like to know what he did. I'll try to explain as best that I can what I think he did and I'm sure that you will be able to recognize and cope with any mistakes or oversights that I make. After being denied access as administrator he apparently found a work around. Used, Command Prompt, then right clicked on it, then clicked on More, then clicked, Run As Administrator. Then, User Account Control (?), clicked Yes. Then the next window was a black screen Administrator: Command Prompt ... where blinking then typed, Notepad. Then I think that you COPY/PASTE the contents of, MailerDB.ini, including [Thunderbird] substitution for Outlook Express, into the blank Notepad window (?). Then, Save As, then, Attach To Email. I think it asks if you want to overwrite and he clicked YES. IT WORKS!
On the printer's Scan Control panel, I pressed, Scan To PC (email), & it scanned an item I put on the glass platen. Then a new blank email window appeared with the attachment. I typed Test as the Subject and sent it to my email address and it showed up in my Inbox. IT WORKS! After he left I made the above notes and hope that I remembered all (or most) of the steps. Let me know if you can duplicate / correct the above then I'll mark this post as Solved. (whew) John

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.