Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

USB Wireless adapter for old pc

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Miqw7394 
#1 ·
Will TP-LINK TL-WN823N - Network adapter - USB 2.0 - 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n work with Windows XP, VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal host controller?

I sure hope I'm in the right spot...

#5 ·
Service pack3 , which is an update to XP
they released SP1 , SP2 and SP3

you should be able to goto
control panel > system
and then you will see what Service Pack you have

Upgrade XP to what
windows 10 is only available for Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 PC and not available for XP for free
Also you should check with the manufacturers website to see what drivers are available for the hardware and see if the PC will support any newer version of windows

#8 ·
I am hoping once I get wifi working on it that I can upgrade windows
If that's an old PC and you're wanting to upgrade it from Windows XP to a newer Windows version, you first need to determine if it supports and has the hardware and speed to run it.

What brand name and model name and model number is that PC?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#9 · (Edited)
Hi frustratemoma congrats on a great member name (y)

Intuition tells me you have a few/many questions about XP so-

1. some where there is a official MS driver tool to tune up your driver program, that i used, and negated my need to switch anything, despite MS monopoly abuse on/of all of mankind in dumping xp support, they still may have it up on their site. or you may find "driver Repair tool" at a "old programs" download site, but use adware removal tool after downloaded as most of those sites like CNET will put a adware cookie on your computer in the down load.

2. Up Grading is a term invented by MS to make folks feel inferior about having last years model so you will part with YOUR money to get like the Jones, tho a little crude, you will never find a program more simple to us then XP. IMHO everything there on gets even less intuitive, more complicated, in human terms, my W 7 is a Frankenstein. MS is giving 10 away because even free to you, it gathers so much user stats, they still make money on it giving it away.

3. its true, XP may have some security risks, but using FIREFOX addons like "self destructing cookie" and zemana anti-logger and ADVAST that has been partially built just to protect XP users. you should never have a problem, and do turn auto updates off in windows firewall-there are no more. set updates to let you look at them before you download, if you get a update, look it up on the web, see what is said about it, like what you read, allow it.

4. WY-FI is a big security risk, and it slows down your computer, and if the Pres. of MS Canada can say it so can i, WY-FRI is big time questionable for your health and even more so children, if anyone saw what it did to my hydrangea
bushes after rooting cuttings of them next to a wy-fry router they would :cry: but you can find pictures of same on the net and peer reviewed white papers as well.:eek::eek:, removing it is a first defense move now in fighting autism, its not the radiation, its your brains EMF fighting the router EMF for supremacy,,,,,,,,, WY-FRY router wins:confused:.

4.a never down load a game off net, they are almost all bugged.

5. XP up grade or just replacement hardware parts are at a all time low cost now and they will be around for decades, I got a (REAL) new mother board with a real faster chip installed, power supply and new DVD burner for 35 pounds British.

6. if you need more storage space just buy on sale 2 64 GB PNY or SAN disk flash drives, stick one in the back of your xp, copy everything you put on it to the 2nd flash not connected and hide it and update it once a month too, with new stuff you put on the XP flash drive. now you got three times the storage, and you can even make a short cut to it on your front screen and and remember to back up that 2nd one with new stuff, , now, even if your computer takes a lighting strike, the 2nd one is still safe in the cookie jar :cool:.

6. a.
never buy a flash drive on a auction net store, always go to a brick and mortar office supply
where you can return a boot leg flash which almost never happens at brick and mortar big chains .

7 never cloud storage anything you don't want the bored all night security guard at their server to see:cautious:.

8 "auslogics" makes a super defragger that will super speed up you XP, used with disc clean daily you will be as fast as apple,,,,almost.

10 the whole world thanks you for being a concerned mom, see .....here we are thanking you!!! (y) :p :D :LOL: :) :cool: :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Well, now we are tidy, think I will go back to sleep

MOON :sleep:

#10 ·
Hi, frustratedmama (what a brilliant handle! :LOL:)

If you haven't already bought this item, I'd recommend the TP-Link WN-725N USB 'nano' adapter.

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

This definitely works with XP; I've used it on & off for the past 3 years. Brilliant range, doesn't suffer from drop-outs.....thoroughly recommended.

Mike. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.