Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GPU Temp. too high

3K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi!

When I play games (I tested 2/3 games) the GPU temp. start increase reaching 100/101 °C every times, causing lowering the FPS and forcing me to stop gaming in order to prevent the demaging of the video card.
I tried to solve putting the fan on the max speed but it didn't work.
When I don't play games the temps. are around the 44/50 °C.
I hope someone can help me out! Thanks!
Specs:
GPU:GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit) 3072MB
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M51AC
PROCESSOR: Intel i7 4770 3.40GHz
RAM: DDR3 8GB

#6 ·
MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M51AC
You appear to have an ASUS M51AC Desktop PC.
According to its "Specifications" section, it comes with a 300W or 350W or 500W power supply.
I don't know where I can find the power supply model.
All power supply units have a label that have its brand name and model number and wattage and input/output specs.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
You appear to have an ASUS M51AC Desktop PC.
According to its "Specifications" section, it comes with a 300W or 350W or 500W power supply.

All power supply units have a label that have its brand name and model number and wattage and input/output specs.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, Thanks, but, as you said before, the GTX 760 need a minimum 500W power supply, so it's probably the one that I have.

#8 ·
These are the graphics device options that come with that model desktop.
I'm going to assume that yours came with the 7th one down from the top of the list.
Font Terrestrial plant Circle Number

(Click the image to enlarge and view it)

That doesn't mean though that your desktop automatically came with a 500W power supply.
The only way to know for sure is to view its label.

I'll leave you with the hardware/gaming experts from here on.
Good luck with getting your issue resolved.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#12 ·
Take it out of the cubby, those are not designed for anything beyond basic computers, best not using for higher end computers, enough though you may have used it for 2 years it's still not optimal.

Looks like the computer could use a bit of dusting out. You should buy a can of compressed air and blow out the computer, focus on the power supply, CPU heatsink, and video card.

#13 ·
I will buy it and I'm going to buy a new desk without the chubby hole in the next days , so I'll fix those 2 problems. I also tried removing the dust with an hairblower (cold temp.) and the PC seems to be clean. Do you really think that a little bit of dust can cause the GPU to increasing the temp. so much? I don't think that 101°C while playing can be caused only by the dust.

#14 ·
You don't have to buy a new desk, you can remove the computer from it temporarily and set it on the floor or on top. To be clear that was not what I recommended.

A hair dryer is not as effective as canned air.

The max temp for that GU is 97 Celsius, temps in the 80's and low 90's under very heavy load are not abnormal, so an increase from those to 101 isn't that much and could easily be explained by a little dust and poor environmental conditions.

#15 ·
Sorry, maybe I explained myself wrong. I meant that I was going to buy a new desk because it was on my plan to buy a new one, nothing about what you said xD. Anyway, I already "tested" the PC, putting it off the chubby hole, but without any results. I really hope it is just some dust :(

#16 ·
Your images pretty much say it all - that very dusty interior is the primary cause of the overheating issue.

The "2-Fan" needs to be removed so the processor's heat sink underneath it can be properly cleaned.

A portable hair dryer on its coolest temperature setting and highest blower setting works well for me for blowing out the interior of a case, but you may need a can of compressed air as Rob suggested.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#18 ·
You don't have to buy a new desk, you can remove the computer from it temporarily and set it on the floor or on top. To be clear that was not what I recommended.

A hair dryer is not as effective as canned air.

The max temp for that GU is 97 Celsius, temps in the 80's and low 90's under very heavy load are not abnormal, so an increase from those to 101 isn't that much and could easily be explained by a little dust and poor environmental conditions.
Ok, well. I cleaned all up and I tested the games again. Now I reached a max of 80°C.

#20 ·
I use GPU Tweak (by ASUS) and MSI Afterburner for the in-game temps.
Yes, I cleaned it pretty well, I also unmounted the graphic card in order to clean the fan of it. The only thing that I didn't clean perfectly, but just a bit, was the power supply wich is a bit hard to clean without unmount it.

#21 ·
It's about 30 degrees F less than its maximum operating temperature, so you'll probably be okay.

The interior of the case was VERY dusty, and we don't know how dusty of an environment it's exposed to on a daily basis, so that'll determine how often you'll need to blow it out.

#22 ·
It's about 30 degrees F less than its maximum operating temperature, so you'll probably be okay.

The interior of the case was VERY dusty, and we don't know how dusty of an environment it's exposed to on a daily basis, so that'll determine how often you'll need to blow it out.

Ok, thanks. I'll always take a look from now on to check the dust.

#34 ·
There's a perfectly good spot on the top right side of the desk. But at least your desk doesn't have a door or a back panel on the cubby for the computer so moving it might not help too much.

If you room temperature is between 25 and 35 degrees then that's seriously going to affect the temps of the computer. A hot room is going to result in a hot computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.