Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Need Help Finding out which power supply i need

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Dougx789 
#1 ·
Im getting a gtx 1080 32 GB of DDR4 ram and intel i7 with liquid cooling but im not shure what power supply i would need. But im also going to install more ram and 1 or 2 1080's or overtime.

#2 ·
If you want help here from the hardware experts, you need to provide more information about your computer besides it having a GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card and 32 GB of DDR4 RAM.

What's the complete description of the Intel Core i7 processor?

What's the brand name and model number and revision number of the motherboard?

That's going to be a gaming computer, correct?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
CPU:
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K 4 - 4.2GHz
6th Generation Processor LGA1151

MotherBoard: asus Rog maximus VII HERO/Whetstone LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 U.2 USB 3.1 Z170 ATX Mother board

This is a gaming pc but keep in mind that im planning on installing 32 GB more of ram and 1 or 2 more 1080's over time.

#4 ·
Used this calculator , http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
Threw in some numbers, Recommended at minimum a EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 80+ GOLD, 850W ECO Mode Fully Modular NVIDIA SLI and Crossfire Ready 10 Year Warranty Power Supply 220-G2-0850-XR

#6 ·
That one is calculated with 2 1080's and 32GB ram, 3 hard drives, it is a quality 850 Watt. Some peploe prefer a 1000 Watt. for all that.

#8 ·
Ram and extra hard drives won't change the power requirements by that much. (by comparison to video cards)

You also haven't really stated what you plan to do with this system, are you really going to need 64GB of Ram?

Also as for the GPU's do you need 3 GTX 1080's? Are you aware that NVidia has reduced support for 3/4 SLI setups?

#9 ·
Ram and extra hard drives won't change the power requirements by that much. (by comparison to video cards)

You also haven't really stated what you plan to do with this system, are you really going to need 64GB of Ram?

Also as for the GPU's do you need 3 GTX 1080's? Are you aware that NVidia has reduced support for 3/4 SLI setups?
Im slowing going to upgrade my pc untill it gets to 64GB of ram but what does NVidia has reduced support for 3/4 SLI setups

#10 ·
NVidia are focusing on single GPU setups or having a second for Physx.

They (at least currently) won't be putting as much support into 3 or 4 SLI setups. This could make them very problematic.

Just something to be cautious of before throwing too much money at it.

#11 ·
c
NVidia are focusing on single GPU setups or having a second for Physx.

They (at least currently) won't be putting as much support into 3 or 4 SLI setups. This could make them very problematic.

Just something to be cautious of before throwing too much money at it.
could my pc just use a 1200w power supply even thought its not necessary or will it hurt the pc

#14 ·
Some manufacturers build different ranges of units. Some are intended for basic office style computers and others for high end performance PC's.

Unfortunately they make the lower quality ranges in high wattage rated units. Whilst these may list as 500+W. They are not suitable for the continuous strain put on them by a performance system.

As a general rule, Look for at least a 5 year manufacturer's warranty. If the manufacturer will put a long warranty on the unit as standard you know it's a better quality.

I recommend seasonic, corsair (not the cx line), Evga supernova line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.