Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Designing new website

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  apoecreation 
#1 ·
Hi guys....I am wanting to create my own website.

I haven't really messed with the web design route in years so have no idea how to get started.

Can any of you lend a few ideas?

#2 ·
Sure Andrew, but could you fill us in on your experience level? For example. are you just into html and css or have you also knowledge of php and javascript? Give us an idea and we are pleased to help(y)

#3 ·
Well to be honest,i have been in computers for almost 17 years. Butttttt...in a hardware and networking sense. :D

I can build a PC from scratch and do any type of hardware imaginable...but software wise, or programming rather. I lack.

I'm real good, like normally REAL GOOD, at picking on new things but ai learn by DOING easier than reading so would kinda just like to know whats invokved and how to go about it? What kinda ssoftware do i need? Can i use something like publisher and then just load to a server?

#4 ·
I cut my teeth using Kompozer - a WYSIWYG platform - and picked up html and css from writing sites with it. It's as good a place as any to dive in at a not too deep end;)

#6 ·
Yes, it's much more gratifying! You feel you have created something unique after hand coding a site. But walk before running:sneaky: Kompozer was a good learning path for me ..

#18 ·
If you are struggling with this and you want it to showcase your new business then you may be better off contracting someone else to build it for you.

If you have your own hosting space it may be easier just to get one of the CMS's up and running such as my favourite Wordpress. There are thousands of themes to choose from as well as a similar number of plugins to add functionality. You can have a website up in 5 minutes or so in Wordpress so it may be worth considering.

#19 ·
anything you know about squarespace? I am not a "hire someone to do it for me person" I read and learn and once am confident I will attempt it. Just who I am, I dont believe that theres ANYTHING I CANNOT DO if I put my mind to it. I have taught myself EVERYTHIGN I know about computers, networking, and electronics since i was about 7 years old (20 years ago)

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
IMHO there are some times where deep knowledge and time constraints that call for outside help. Yes, I am sure you can learn to be a good web programmer and designer, but it will require time. When developing a new web site, you need to know good coding practices in a chosen server based scripting language, javascript, html5, CSS, graphics design, maybe photography, a chosen database, SQL, database design, and secure coding practices. Almost each facet has it's own tools, and you need to master those. Web development is what I describe as "a package tied together with strings". HTML and CSS are standards, but there are multiple server based programming languages you can choose. Javascript is a standard for interactive browser pages, SQL is the database programming language but each database has variations from the base. Secure coding is dependent on the server based programming language you choose and the database. In the very beginning I thought being a programmer would enable me to do everything with computers, but as I learned and progressed, I realized that there is simply too much for 1 single person to master. .

As for your question about squarespace, understand that when you buy in to a packaged product like that, you will be tied to them. Migrating to another web hosting service will be impossible. You have to look into the future somewhat to determine if it will still fit you in a few years time. And be prepared to start from scratch if you want to migrate. The templates, databases, e-commerce and analytics are integrated, and should you need more than what each individual piece can provide, you can't do anything except submit a request for a new feature. And whether they listen or not will depend on how popular they think this feature will be before they choose to implement it. It also depends on how agile their development team is, so you will need to understand their method of operation. You will be choosing a business partner. Most small businesses can turn on a dime, so make sure they can follow your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.