Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cant Open MsConfig

5K views 27 replies 4 participants last post by  RickyGani 
#1 · (Edited)
My PC wasnt getting very slow right after i let my little sister use it. All I know she went to see picture using Chrome (might have clicked some ads that contain malware). So, i decided to go to SafeMode (using msconfig) and run scan using Malwarebytes. Then, i found about 400'ish issue which i quarantined then removed them all.

So i thought, the problem might be solved now. But, when I try to open MsConfig , it shows application error (something about memory could not be written with that 0x000---- code, i forgot). Then I restarted the PC, which is still in safe mode, Now, when i try to open up MsConfig, it shows loading for a while then, nothing.

I also tried to open task manager, which shows loading for a while then nothing.

So , im pretty much stuck in safe mode now... any idea how to fix this mess ?

EDIT 1 :
I tried to open cmd.exe, it stays open for less than a minute then an error popup shows up, saying "The instructions at 0x4aba3c3f referenced memory at 0x4ad23c8d. The memory could not be written."

#2 ·
If Malwarebytes Anti-Malware found and quarantined about 400 threats, you can bet your computer is still infested with other threats.

If you can get your computer to load in "safe mode with networking" so it has a working internet connection, do the following in it.

Go here, then click the "Download Now @ Bleeping Computer" button to download and save AdwCleaner.exe to your desktop.
If you receive a warning that this file is unsafe to download, ignore the warning.
Close all open windows first, then double-click AdwCleaner.exe to load its main window.
Click the "Scan" button, then allow the scanning process to finish.
Several seconds may pass before the scanning process starts, so be patient.
Click the "Clean" button, then click "OK".
Allow the cleaning process to finish.
When it's finished, click "OK" in each window that appears.
The computer will restart.
When the log appears during restart, save it.
Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log here.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
The log should've automatically appeared during the restart process, but don't worry about that for now.

Did the scan find several threats, and were they deleted?
Just to be sure, run another "scan" and "clean".
Sometimes, it has to be done 2 - 3 times to find and delete everything.

#5 ·
I'm running 2nd scan now, after 3 scan, should I post the log file here? Attach them? Because i found the log file inside the adwcleaner

EDIT :

While cleaning in the 2nd Scan, i got this error saying "Windows Command Processor has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows willclose the program and notify you if a solution is available"
2 options below it are "Debug" and "Close Program".
What should i do ... ?

#8 ·
I've never seen that message appear.
Restart the computer and wait for it to settle down, then do another scan.

It sounds like your sister did some serious damage to your computer.
Hopefully, you won't have to do a reinstall and get a fresh start.

#9 ·
I can't imagine what could a 7 years old do to my computer and do such harm...

Now, whenever i try to open AdwCleaner.exe, the mouse cursor just kept loading, and nothing happen, it just stays loading...

Whatever inside my pc is very serious i think, first i notice the probelm when I cant open NOTEPAD! (It showed some memory error with the 0x0------ error code i cant remember) then i tried to open task manager it says error, even cmd too ... now this

Any suggestion what shoukd i do?

#10 ·
I didn't know your sister is only 7 years old.
I was assuming she's a teenager or young adult.

It's probably just a coincidence it started running slow after she used it.
Based on how many threats Malwarebytes found and what AdwCleaner probably found, that computer has been accumulating threats and issues for awhile.

It's my guess that computer is loaded with temp/junk files, so let's do something else.
Go here, then click the "Download Now @ Author's Site" button to download and save TFC.exe (Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer) to your desktop.
After it's downloaded and saved, close all open windows.
Double-click it to load its main window.
Click the "Start" button.
If there are a large number of temp files or if there are multiple user accounts, the temp file deletion process may appear to freeze and may take a few minutes, so don't interfere with or abort it.
After it's finished, restart the computer if prompted to.
Advise how many files in MB's were found and removed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#12 ·
I've done the cleaning and it says 2,225 mb of files were cleaned. But, i still cant open Task Manager.

But, when i try to open MsConfig.exe, at least a error window now shows up saying
"The instruction at 0x00924 referenced memory at 0x01024ad3. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate. Click on CANCEL to debug the program."

What should i do?

#15 ·
DON'T do a System Restore because that can negate the work we've done and cause even more problems.

Follow the instructions in post #14.

Have you been using any registry/file "cleaner/optimizer/tune-up" type programs?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#16 · (Edited)
Have you been using any registry/file "cleaner/optimizer/tune-up" type programs?
I may have changed some registry back a few months ago, thats just because my Game Controller Stick has its button messed up, i fixed it by watching tutorial on youtube. I dont know if that counts or not...

Or run an online virus scan with ESET.
http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Use IE [Internet Explorer] to run the scan.
There's the button on top of that webpage, "Scan Now" can't seem to be clicked, like it's not a button at all. I tried to download the trial version, but got Error 1601 when installing. (The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed.) Is this normal in safe mode? or the worm/virus may have taken down Windows Installer Service as well ??
This is byfar the most stressing PC issue I've ever gotten ...
Thanks for all the response guys

EDIT 1 : The unclickable button become clickable if I zoom out the website, idk how. Running the scan right now

EDIT 2 : Left the PC for about 1 hour, when I came back the scan window become somewhat crashed with black box covering text, but I can see about 2000 files are infected, the scanning is stuck there with about only 60% done. Re-running the scan now. 2000 issues seems like a Serious Problem for me ... is it?

EDIT 3 : Now I cant run scan anymore, it says I cant update virus signature database, but I can open websites normally using firefox or Chrome. One thing i noticed when chrome files are being scanned, the infected files count were rocketing....

EDIT 4 : I also remembered now few days ago I downloaded a Pokemon Go Map scanner from GitHub (https://github.com/AHAAAAAAA/PokemonGo-Map) it also need Phyton which then I downloaded too, the scanner works fine, it might have been the source of problem... But everyone from github gave positive feedback, and says nothing about virus/worm...

#21 ·
So, i tried both...

1. Avast, i can download and install it succesfully, then when scanning using "Smart Scan" feature, it says my PC is safe. But, when trying "Virus Scan", an error msg shows up "Unable to start scan. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper" ...

2. Microsoft Security Essentials, downloaded , but when installing, it says that it can install on computer running on safe mode, which I am...

So, what should i do next ?

#23 ·
Your post # 1

That is not the best way to enter safe mode - as you have found out.
Untick Safe Boot in msconfig - Apply>Ok - restart your pc and see if you can now boot to normal mode.

Then run a Full anti-virus scan.
That's the whole issue here, i cant open msconfig. I know the "F8 key" method of getting into safe mode, but idk why i entered safe mode using msconfig that time, ran some scans, remove threats, then i can't get out of safe mode. Even, with the "F8 key" method (selecting "Boot Normally"). Seems like "MsConfig" method is overriding the "F8 Key"...

#26 ·
When i open System Restore, the cursor changed to loading for like 10 secs, then nothing. I've tried to do a system restore from the "F8 key" method and selecting Fix Computer. But it says I dont have any restore points (I cant remember to create one)

Eset online scanner still shows up the same error , "Cannot Update virus database", while browsing with firefox is still possible

It's sounding more and more like a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and a fresh start may be your best option.

Problem is, i got this PC from an office. (I just added VGA to make gaming possible) . And it doesnt have any CDRom , i also dont have the instalation CD

I think i might borrow my friends external CDRom and the instalation disc (Is it possible?)

#28 · (Edited)
I've finally out of the Safe Mode (with CMD from "fix computer" option), run several Boot Scan with avast!

Avast found a "RootKit" named "Win32:Virut", which some said it infects the whole .exe on the PC, I'll make new post on Virus Removal Forum, Thanks to blues_harp28 and flavallee for keeping up with my problems !

(Should I mark this thread as Solved?)

If you wanna follow my problem at the Virus Removal forum, here's the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.