Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"No DVI-D input"

483 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
So recently I got a new graphics card and found out that it only had one VGA cable, as opposed to the two on the old graphics card I had that was allowing me to use dual monitors. After opening one of those sockets that they come with, I could attach a DVI-D cable to the second monitor and then attach that to the computer. When turning the computer on, the log-on screen doesn't appear but the sound happens, only the sound comes from the monitor saying "no DVI-D input", meaning that although I can log on it is hard to do anything from there as I have everything on the main monitor. Effectively, my monitor works and can do everything, except from actually showing what is happening on-screen. Anybody know what might be the cause of this problem?

#2 ·
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Your explanation of the hardware setup is a bit unclear to me, in particular, "After opening one of those sockets that they come with, I could attach a DVI-D cable to the second monitor and then attach that to the computer." What do you mean by opening up one of the sockets?

A DVI-D cable only inter-connects the digital video signal pins on its connectors. A VGA output only uses analog video signals. A simple passive VGA to DVI plug converter can not convert analog video to digital video. If your monitor has a DVI-A or DVI-I input connector, you should be able to use a suitable VGA to DVI-A plug adapter and/or cable to feed the graphics card's analog VGA signals into the analog portion of the monitor's DVI input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.