Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recover 'lost' space after partition deleted

5K views 49 replies 6 participants last post by  Coco767 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm running XP and Lubuntu on an old pc. I recently erased my Local Disk D, which had most of my personal data on it. Local Disk C is still there and contains the XP OS.

I'm not so bothered about losing the data that was in D (the really important stuff was backed up) but Disk D took up nearly 40GB of space which I am now unable to access or utilise.

The full story is long so rather than recite it here if anyone is able to try to help it would be better if I just supply information as and when you require it.

I should say that I'm very much an IT beginner; until this all started I hadn't even heard of partitions, and sadly I'm still struggling with them.

Needless to say, very grateful for any help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 2039 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 24998 MB, Free - 1771 MB;
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 085Ch
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

See less See more
#29 ·
Damnit. Whatever I try to do it just won't work. Just checked Backup Progress to see this message:

The tape? Sounds like an old analogue term. Was copying to USB stick..

Tried to continue - even though I felt pretty sure it would need to be copied in one piece, so to speak - but then got this message:

"Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 7/22/2016 at 07:58"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:80042316
Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete."

Apparently 3.9GB was copied to the stick. Double clicking the file brings up the 'Backup or Restore Wizard' which offers a Continue option but when I click the prompts I get another 'Error' message.

Should I delete what was copied and try again? Or try copying to another device? Am I even using the correct tool?

I'll try to acccess the 12.8GB partition data in Lubuntu, but for now I'm guessing XP backup is my priority.

Thanks as always for the continued help.

#30 ·
Yes I meant the 37 GB drive, it's sold as 40GB, the maker and windows measure the sizes slightly differently but it's the same drive.

I think the 80GB drive is ok, although they look a little different the Minitool and Lubuntu screenshots agree with each other.

What size it the Usb stick ? They are slow for backup purposes.

I think it will be safe to delete the 12.8GB partition and resize C into the newly created unallocated space but check what's on the 12.8GB partition first in Lubuntu as Terry advised.

#31 ·
Thanks Allan, yes, I'll try to check the 12.8GB but it will take a day or two, partly as I've yet to learn how to view partition contents,a also because I'm in mid backup to Google Pics and it's taking forever.

The stick is Integral brand, nominally 32GB. The pc ports are only USB2 so even slower. Before attempting to backup the C Disk it had about 12GB of unused space. I used the Backup And Restore Wizard but, come to think of it, I didn't see any mention of 'image', so maybe I was using the wrong tool?

Just out of curiosity why must the 12.8GB be checked in Lubuntu? And I've just realised that the MiniTool shows it as containing 8.85GB of free space with 3.99GB being used. Can I not check it here in XP with the Partition Wizard?

Ah, I wonder if that used space is a Linux Mint OS installed by a friend.. If so it can go, I never use it as it didn't install clean, YouTube is messed up on it.

#33 · (Edited)
Ok, got it. Thanks TerryNet. Still waiting for google pics to finish uploading, soon as it does I'll reboot to Lubuntu.

Edit

Once back in Lubuntu, any advice on exactly how to proceed? I assume open Disks for a start, but a bit lost from then on..

Grateful for advise, but will ask in Linux Help if you think best. Still unfamiliar with their OS but determined to learn.

#35 · (Edited)
From what I can see there is sda1 and sda2 but I'm struggling with Ext2explore and just cannot get it to open the files. The article you linked instructs to run the program as administrator but I didn't get that option. Maybe that's the problem?

Looks like I will have to reboot to lubuntu.

Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this.

EDIT

Now back in Lubuntu and trying to recall what I learned about it last time, may take a while. Priorities are remembering how to post screenshots and work out how to view partition contents. At the moment I can't see that 12.8GB partition..

#36 ·
Now back in Lubuntu and it's like greased lightning compared to XP. Found out how to take screenshots and where they get stored. I've never found Linux the most intuitive OS but once I learn my way around it I'm sure I'll use Windows only very occasionally.

However I'm fumbling with Gparted, and all things partition in general at the moment. Truth is I don't yet have a clue what I'm doing, and I'm reluctant to click anything for fear of doing some damage. I'll post a screenshot of what I have on screen with Gparted; if anyone caan advise on how to proceed I'd be grateful as always.

#38 ·
TerryNet.. erm..

It looks, to my highly un-techie eye, as though the 12.8GB partition contains my faulty and unused Linux Mint OS so I suppose I would delete, providing we can be (reasonably) sure that the Gparted info is accurate, and that the 3.99GB of space being used is indeed entirely to house Linux Mint. And, of course, that deleting won't do any damage.

Is there a way to delete an unwanted OS, in this case Linux Mint, without removing the partition? In other words, remove the OS, then check back with Gparted to see if the 12.8GB partition shows as unused?

#40 ·
Just because Gparted shows the contents as using 3.99GB of used space and I thought that deleting would free up this extra. Or doesn't it work like that? Also, if I'm right, the used space is taken up by an unwanted and unused Linux Mint (faulty) installation so deleting seemed logical.

Is there a reason not to delete?

#42 ·
"But, I think that you want to delete the partition and then resize the "C" partition to include the newly unallocated space"

Yes, exactly. And then look at recovering use of the currently inaccessible 40GB partition.
Afraid I'm still fumbling with how all this works. Just home so will go back to partition learning curve tomorrow when not so tired and look up how to resize.

Thanks for your post.

#43 ·
After you delete that small partition you will have unallocated space to the right of the "C" partition. In GParted it will look similar to my screenshot (different sizes and I'm using Easeus, but the graphics are very close). Click on "C"; click on resize/move; drag the right side of "C" to the right to include all the unallocated space. Click on 'Apply.'

#45 ·
Hm, another hitch. Seems Gparted can't be used to perform any task on the same disk that houses it, i.e the partition that I want to modify is in use..

Currently attempting to create a bootable USB stick so as to be able to use Partition Wizard. So far no joy, for some reason Rufus is unable to complete the task. Will try other options.

#47 ·
I've been toggling between the two OSes, largely to perform tasks in XP that I don't yet know how to perform in Lubuntu. I'm sorry, my inexperience obviously isn't helping you to help me.

I honestly have no clue what 'sda, sdb' etc.. mean or relate to. I shall continue to try to learn and post back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.