Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Version of JAVA ???

Solved 
1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  plodr 
#1 ·
The last several days, I am seeing a notice that a new version of JAVA is available and should be installed.

I have read mixed opinions about JAVA and am not smart enough myself to make the right choice, so I thought I would ask those smarter than me = you guys.

Is this something I should install or avoid ?

Thanks for reading.

#2 ·
I'm no expert but, like you, I was constantly reading about the potential risks of having Oracle Java installed (not to be confused with JavaScript). At least a year ago, maybe longer, I uninstalled it and waited to see what happened and nothing did. No sites or programs I needed to use stopped working so I have never reinstalled it.

Now all I have to worry about are the risks attached to using the other browser addons/plugins, such as Adobe Flash etc!

#3 ·
No sites or programs I needed to use stopped working so I have never reinstalled it.
Thanks; that is sort of what I figured.

I have learned that, sometimes something that isn't broke is better left un-fixed, especially when it comes to things I had best leave alone.

It is my understanding that now there are things that do what JAVA does, only safer and better; and, I am not even remotely sure just what JAVA is supposed to do.

#4 ·
If you have Java installed then yes, keep it up to date.
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/

Updates are released every 3 or 4 months. I don't remember.
I removed it from a computer using Revo Uninstaller and there were over 2,000 registry entries. It took a long time to look them over, check each one and remove it.

Despite doing that, once uninstalled, there was still an icon for Java in the Control Panel. I then researched to see what it was so I could remove it.
The Control panel icon is JAVACPL.CPL and was located in C:\Windows\system32
once I found that and erased it, Java was gone from the computer.

#6 ·
I removed it from a computer using Revo Uninstaller and there were over 2,000 registry entries. It took a long time to look them over, check each one and remove it.
Can I not just use the "uninstall a program" in the control panel, or is that a bad idea ?

These 2,000+ registry entries, what were you looking for when you looked them over; did you find anything that you opted to not remove among them ?

If you need it, keep it updated.

If you don't need it, uninstall it.
I don't do games.

90% of what I do is various photo editing programs and such things as asking questions on sites like this, occasionally sending/receiving e-mail, and a bit of E-bay and Amazon.

I don't know enough about it to whether I need it or not; considering my uses, what do you guys think ?

By the way, I really appreciate everyone on this site and all the help and advice I have received here; thanks !

#7 ·
If you uninstall it, and then something doesn't work, you can simply reinstall it.

About the only thing I'm aware of that has ever used on my system was the web browser as some sites still use it. I haven't yet reinstalled it after my last fresh install.

#8 ·
These 2,000+ registry entries, what were you looking for when you looked them over
Revo has entries in regular type and in bold type. You need to be sure you do not select anything in regular type because then something in the registry is removed that should have remained. Since I didn't want to screw up the registry, I made very sure that what I selected was in bold type.

In the past, the database portion of OpenOffice needed Java to work.
I tried OpenOffice. I test thing because my husband uses both WordPerfect office and MS Office so I sometimes see if I can find a free solution for him.

#9 ·
Revo has entries in regular type and in bold type. You need to be sure you do not select anything in regular type because then something in the registry is removed that should have remained. Since I didn't want to screw up the registry, I made very sure that what I selected was in bold type.

In the past, the database portion of OpenOffice needed Java to work.
I tried OpenOffice. I test thing because my husband uses both WordPerfect office and MS Office so I sometimes see if I can find a free solution for him.
Can I not just use the "uninstall a program" in the control panel, or is that a bad idea ?

Thanks.

#12 ·
JAVA is gone, uninstalled, out of there.

After learning of Revo Uninstaller in Plodr's post above, I did a bit of research and found Geek Uninstaller; the Revo seemed like it would be a bit over my head and I didn't want to mess something up, so I downloaded the Geek.

I like the Geek Uninstaller better than the control panel method; it is definitely quicker and more responsive.

I like the fact that it scans for remnants and I also like that I can make a file of my programs list; this can be quite handy.

Thanks for everyone's help.

#13 ·
I actually use Revo and Geek. They both do the same thing. Show you the items in the registry that you need to carefully look over so you don't remove something that is needed.

Geek has the advantage that it show 32 and 64 bit programs. Revo only show 32 bit in the free version so if you have a 64 bit program, you either have to buy Revo or use another uninstall program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.