Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Main Reason for flashing bios and clearing CMOS

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
What's the reason why you need to flash the bios? And what's the reason why you need to clear the cmos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You can gain BIOS support needed for newer hardware
A bug in the existing BIOS firmware is fixed with the update
You can gain additional functionality or increased performance'
"reason why you need to clear the cmos?" If you are having a problem and need to get the BIOS back to factory defaults. Example: I have an old Dell and I put faster memory in it and I had to clear the cmos to get it to recognize the new memory.

#4 ·
Are you saying that the computer will not even boot to the Splash Screen or POST screen? Or that it will not boot to windows? If the Former How are you determining that the BIOS Flash was successful as this indictes the probability of a Failed BIOS Flash, If the Latter are you able to enter BIOS Settings? If so you may need to reset your BOOT DEVICE Orders.

#5 ·
Also when you clear the cmos it is recommended to remove all power and even push the power button to bleed off stored energy before moving the jumper on the clear cmos terminals.

#7 ·
OK, if it will not boot, I highly doubt the flash was successful. When you do a bios flash, it is done for a reason ie fix a problem that is addressed by the update, support new cpus, etc. It is NOT done to have the latest and greatest bios revision.

Even though you may have received a msg that the flash was complete, it still may have been corrupted, wrong bios file used, etc.

Have you cleared cmos with the clear jumper? If not, attempt to clear the cmos and then pw ON.

Here is how to properly clear cmos;
1 System OFF, pull the pw cord from the back of the pw supply
2 Press the ON button 2~3 times to remove all residual pw from the pw supply capacitors
3 Open the case and move the clear jumper to the clear position for at least 10 seconds; replace jumper to the normal position. Replace pw cord
4 Pw ON and enter the bios. Set time/date and any other custom settings you may need ie boot order, sata mode, etc
5 Save settings and reboot

Done.

#8 ·
After it successful you are supposed to reboot, not "pull the power cord" If you pulled the power while it was still on it could have corrupted it.

#9 ·
If clearing cmos as instructed in post #7 does not fix the problem, you will most likely have to send the system back to the mfg to be fixed. While many older mb have a removable bios chip [and that is pretty to replace] most modern systems the bios chip is not easily removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.