Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpu upgrade to old motherboard

Solved 
1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi there, I am having a few issues with old pc and i am thinking to upgrade my CPU. I have done this already to this pc and it worked well for many years. I am concerned about the age of my motherboard though, and whether it is worth the effort to upgrade my CPU again. My motherboard is a Asus M2N8 - VMX CPU 1 - it is a 2007 model,, Chipset, NVIDIA/MCP61. I am currently running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ ( Windsor 90 nm ) CPU I have a Radeon HD 5450 vid card. I have 6G DDR ram. Could someone please advise me if my system is worth upgrading or whether to start afresh. I have tried to find a new cpu for my motherboard online but i have had no luck. I llok forward to suggestions. Thanks in advance . Tom

#2 ·
My motherboard is a Asus M2N8 - VMX CPU 1 - it is a 2007 model,, Chipset, NVIDIA/MCP61. I am currently running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ ( Windsor 90 nm ) CPU I have a Radeon HD 5450 vid card. I have 6G DDR ram.
ASUS M2N8-VMX motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.00 GHz dual core processor
AMD Radeon HD 5450 graphic card

According to the support site for the motherboard, it supports a maximum of 4 GB(1 GB X 4) of DDR2 RAM, but you say you have 6 GB of DDR RAM in it.
According to its support site, the highest supported AMD Athlon 64 X2 processor is the 5600+, but you say you have a 6000+ in it.

Did you make any typos in your comments?
I am having a few issues with old pc and i am thinking to upgrade my CPU.
What kind of issues are you having with it?

--------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Thanks Frank and crjdriver, I I have the details of my pc from my Speccy program,
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Rectangle
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Rectangle
Computer Font Screenshot Electronic device Multimedia
Font Screenshot Electronic device Software Multimedia
The issues i have been having lately ( for maybe two months ) include, blue screen,, internet explorer keeps crashing, display host not working, and when I use YouTube I can watch a vid for an hour ok, but if I click on the screen or move my mouse, then the vid locks up and buffers badly, often I cannot resume the vid and my pc is locked up. I did a driver update for my vid card, seemed to help for a while but symptoms are back again. I was just attempting to do a back up of my pc last night, to a removable 2 gig drive, after 24 hours at 26% completed , it decided to freeze and terminated my back up,, bugger,, I was happy with the performance of my pc up to now, I compared it to my Toschiba laptop Intel I3 and it was equal to it in performance, not bad for an old girl hahaha,, I run Win 7 Pro, I used to use Google Chrome for my browser but read somewhere it did not support Youtube any more, and it was at that time that troubles began, now I have Opera, Internet Explorer and Mozila browsers installed as well as Chrome. I an trying them to see if they have some affect to my problems. My pc runs smooth and fast if I dont use the Youtube. I can download and play movies with no trouble. I have a fast internet sometimes clocked at 3.5 Mbs during downloads. My clocked internet speeed is 25Mbs . I also have same buffering symptoms , sometimes, when watching a facebook video. my problem seems to be with internt streaming video's. A little extre problem,, I cannot set a system restore point, something missing or corrupt there and wont let me. I get a message saying something is corrupt. have attached images for info.. ahh so many problems ! hahah perhaps it's time as you suggest , to get a new PC. :-(

#5 ·
First of all, you have to understand you are using a cpu that is not supported by your mb. Sometimes this works fine and other times it does not SO you may encounter problems.
Next I assume the above reading was taken at light or no load since the vcore is @ 1.1V. 48C is a little warm under a no load condition AND your 5V rail is a little low. While both of those readings are within limits, when you stress the system, it is going to get hotter and the voltage is going to drop.
You might try giving the system a good cleaning with a can of air. If it has been a while since you applied thermal compound, you might want to pull the hsf and clean all parts/apply new compound.
The low 5V rail can only be fixed by installing a new pw supply.

#6 ·
thanks CRJ i'll give it a good blow out tomorrow. I know the thermal compound will be in poor condition, it wasn't replaced at last inspection. I'll see if I can get hold of some locally.
From what I am reading, there are lots of people who are having issues using You tube, yet my laptop is ok with it. I forgot to attach the system restore photo's , do you have any thoughts on this issue. Thanks Tom

Attachments

#7 ·
#8 ·
thanks lynx, i will certainly look into your suggestions.
Today i took to my pc with a power air blower and my vacuum cleaner, wow there was so much dust. I blew out everything inside, found some biscuit crumbs where they shouldn't be and plenty of cobwebs. I removed the fan and cooling tower of the cpu and found the finns compacted with dust. The heat compound was dried up and crumbly. I reapplied new compound cleaned the finns and re-assembled the lot.The power supply box was also dust filled.
Result; so far so good! i was amazed at how quiet the fan and everything was when I booted it up. ( i was crossing my fingers that the thing would even start again after my harsh treatment i gave it ) . my flashing led from the hard drive only comes on regularly now, instead of most all the time, everything seems so quiet. I spent several hours on you-tube without and hang ups at all, i was able to open /close many videos with fast results and no buffering problems.. AMAZING ! My pc did not crash with the dreaded blue screen at all. It seems as good as new again. Yipppeeee.
My cpu temp is now 40dg instead of the previous 50dg and motherboard at 44dg
vcore = 1.2 5V is same and 4.919volt still a little low.
my two drives are at 48 and 49dg
my radeon vid card seems high at 56dg ?
I'm thinking of adding a extra fan just to circulate air throughout the case, it is hot and humid where I am here in the Philippines ( expat from australia )
What an amazing effect that an accumulation of dust can have on a pc.
Yesterday I was considering it as scrap metal , now today I'm in love with my old klunker again , hahahahahah

Thank you to Frank, CRJ and lynx, it really wonderful that you guys are willing to help people in need ! Bless You all. This in now the second time I have received help here from Tech Support Guy, last time was a few years ago, so glad you are still here to help.

Kind regards, tom

#9 ·
Glad to hear it is better, Yes a case fan might help as your motherboard and drives should be in the 30's. 56C on a video card is not bad some get up to 70C when gaming. Using a vacuum cleaner is not recommended because of static build-up and discharge to sensitive components. Usually use canned air duster.

#10 ·
Rectangle Font Machine Electric blue Computer component
If you don't have a lower front fan it would be best to add one there blowing in see pic

#11 ·
hi lynx, i'll get an extra fan asap, there is a fan in pwr supply and one on top of cpu but that is all.
I will position it as per your drawing, I'm just not sure where to tap off a power supply for it so the fan comes on when the pc is turned on,, but I guess I can work that one out when I check out the insides.

#14 ·
Electric fan Ventilation fan Peripheral Computer cooling Cable
There is a 3 pin fan connection on the left side of the big 24 pin power socket or you can use a spare molex off your power supply. I have a fan that came with both. Like this

#15 ·
Glad to hear you were able to get it working. You can mark your own thread as solved using the button at the top of the page. No need for this one; I will mark it for you.
Good work. If you use your system a lot, it is a good idea to clean it out every 6 months or so. This prevents dust build up and keeps temps within limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.