Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ip changes and port forwarding doesn't work.

Solved 
3K views 37 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 · (Edited)
So today I called my ISP provider, cause my ports are not being opened when forwarding them.

I opened port 7777 while providing my pc's internal address (192.168.1.112)
I then went ahead and started an SA-MP game server on port 7777
I tried disabling my firewall too.

None of those worked.

Also I've been noticing my external Ip address changes from x.x.197.x to x.x.199.x
My ISP told me to change my Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and secondary to 8.8.4.4

https://i.gyazo.com/e326aee3c144157d44804aecea8774bc.png (Router is IGW3000 as seen on the image)
This changed then, although the primary and secondary DNS under WAN did not change.
He told me those should be the ones changed, but there is absolutely NO option to do so in the router. I checked everything twice.

That didn't work either.

My external ip is still changing between 197 and 199
And my port forwarding is still not working.

I was under the impression that the DNS under WAN is something that THEY would have to change, not me?

I'm not a complete noob to this, but neither am I very good at it.
Please ask if you need any more information.

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
But thing is, he told me my IP address was changing because of my DNS. I told him my problem was port forwarding and I asked him if I had a public IP. Which he checked, and said yes to.

I'm guessing he must also know that it is static, or else he wouldn't go through all this while knowing I don't have a static IP. That would not make sense.

#8 ·
A public IP can be a static or dynamic IP. Did he mean that you should get a service such www.noip.com that allows you to have a dynamic IP and have it linked to a name? That's called Dynamic DNS(DDNS).

You do need to get the port forwarding working first though, then you can sort out if you need a static IP address after.

You also need to set a static IP address for your PC, or crate a reservation in the router for that PC, so that any port forwarding rules you create always go to the correct PC.

#9 ·
A public IP can be a static or dynamic IP. Did he mean that you should get a service such www.noip.com that allows you to have a dynamic IP and have it linked to a name? That's called Dynamic DNS(DDNS).

You do need to get the port forwarding working first though, then you can sort out if you need a static IP address after.

You also need to set a static IP address for your PC, or crate a reservation in the router for that PC, so that any port forwarding rules you create always go to the correct PC.
Port forwarding wouldn't work with a dynamic IP address, right? Wouldn't it be changing all the time, so people wouldn't be able to connect?

He did not talk about DDNS, no. He only talked about changing my DNS address on my router, to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

My local ip address for this pc is already static.

#10 ·
Port forwarding does work with a dynamic IP address but that IP address just changes over time so you constantly have to find out and use/provide the new IP address. Now some ISP's apparently block ports on consumer accounts so maybe that's part of the problem, some ISP's apparently require a business account to allow customers to host servers and access custom ports.

Does the access to the PC from instead the network?

#25 · (Edited)
Yeah, my IP depends on the page I check it on. My IP under WAN is completely different from my external one (is it safe to post my Wan IP on the Internet?)

no VPN or proxy enabled.

The router/modem is called icotera IGW3000.

I have a netgear router, but right now I'm just connecting through theirs (icotera IGW3000)

#31 ·
If it's set for dynamic. DHCP, obtain automatically, then those settings aren't changeable until you change the WAN type to Static or Custom, or whatever your router has. But again some ISP's lock out the WAN settings. ANd you shouldn;t change the WAN IP unless you have been assigned a static IP.

#32 ·
That (any IP starting with 10.) is a Private IP address.

Here is my guess. Your ISP does not give their customers Public IP addresses (this is common for Fixed Wireless, for example). So, your modem is connecting to a device at your ISP that does the same things as a home router. It probably has two WAN connections and load balances between them (which explains why your Public IP changes so frequently). So, in effect, this router-like device blocks all ports. It doesn't matter what you do at your end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.