Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 10 question

600 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hi
Can anyone tell me if this is right or not ? when you reformat your hard drive. there is only three things you should have plugged in and back to your computer. The keyboard mouse and monitor? Is this True ? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
It is generally a good idea to have only the system drive connected. The reason is that windows will install on wherever drive you tell it to install however some files are written to the first hard disk ie the one connected to the first sata port on the motherboard. If you have two disks and you install to the disk connected to sata2, some files are still written to the disk connected to sata1. Note some boards label the first sata as 0 not 1.

The problem arises when you remove the first drive; your system will not boot until you repair the boot files.

As long as you know which drive is connected to which sata port, you do not have to disconnect anything. On my own personal systems, I never disconnect drives to do an install however I do know what drive is connected to what sata port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.