Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fingerprint reader not detected

1K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
Hi everyone and thanks for any help or advice in advance.

I have an HP elitebook 8440p laptop, windows 7 professional.

I took it apart and replaced the motherboard.

Put it back together and amazingly it seems to be working fine.

However it is not detecting the fingerprint reader, google seems to suggest that this is to do with BIOS settings.

So I tried to change them to enable the fingerprint reader on the next boot up.

But it wants a password which I dont have.

Google says I can bypass this with a code that I get when the Bios login fails and locks out, then enter that code as a checksum into a password regenerator.

But I don't get any code when the login fails and it locks up.

It seems possible that I could reset the bios including passsword by removing the CMOS battery and all power but thats not definite for all laptops, and as it took me ages to put it together, not particularly keen to take it all apart again.

Gave up at that point and decided to throw myself at your mercy ??

Thanks again,

Rumi

See less See more
#2 ·
Rumi,
I have taken apart, quite literally, thousands of laptops and, on more than one occasion, have cursed myself out for missing one of the internal cables which is almost guaranteed to be what happened.
Here is HP's support page: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/home/?sp4ts.oid=4095872
Here is a link for the Maintenance manual: http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/...095872&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c02745864
Page 4-43 shows the fingerprint reader cable as number 2 and, luckily, you only have to take out the keyboard to reseat it. If that isn't it, you'll need to lift the top cover so you can reseat the other end of that cable. If that isn't it, I suspect you got the wrong system board and almost all HP parts have a label with the part number. On their laptop system boards they tend to be near one of the memory sockets and are in the form of 594028-001 (six digits-001).
The maintenance manual, BTW, does not have instructions for clearing the BIOS which usually means the settings are in firmware which won't be changed by taking the battery out (though, if the cables look OK, is definitely worth a try).

#3 ·
Hello Davis, thank you for your excellent info and the helpful links.

I went back in under the keyboard the cables seemed to be seated securely, I undid it and pushed it in again as far as it goes, but no difference. There is a bit of clear blue plastic which should be on the end of the cable (makes it easier to pull it out), this has come off my cable, I wonder if this is making a loose fit ??? I could glue it back on if you think it will help??

The other end of the cable disappears under a shiny metal cover for a smart card reader, which I have never removed, so would be surprised if this end has come loose. (See pic - which is from a spare laptop I am using for parts. I haven't reopened my one yet.)

As for motherboards, the number on the original one which came as new is 594028-001, the one I have replaced it with has the same number. (Am able to access the expansion memory from the outside and sticker is under the memory card)

Sorry not to reply for a while, but I have managed to mess the system up by unistalling intel rapid storage, and laptop won't boot up - but thats a completely different story ???

Thanks again, what do you think I should do next ?

Rumi

Attachments

#5 ·
There is a bit of clear blue plastic which should be on the end of the cable (makes it easier to pull it out), this has come off my cable, I wonder if this is making a loose fit ??? I could glue it back on if you think it will help??
That blue plastic definitely adds to the thickness of the cable and I can easily see its lack causing problems. With the cable inserted can you just stick it back in too before clamping it down?

#6 ·
I can give it a try, but I'm making things worse here. I took out the memory card so as to read the sticker underneath it. Theres not much space in the the little well to get the card out, but after a bit of fiddling I managed it, but now I cant seem to get enough pressure on the card to get it to seat properly and the computer is not booting up at all now ????

Any tips on how to get the card back in its slot ?

#8 ·
OK, thanks Davis, got the memory card properly seated (with the aid of an ice lolly stick ??) and booting up properly again.

tried the cable again with the extra blue plastic, its a really snug fit and I tried it twice, making sure to get it in as far as it goes. The blue plastic has even reattached itself in the right place due to the compression ?? but its still not reading the print reader.

A couple of thoughts :- a guy on a forum said microsoft did an update which stopped his reader working and he had to reinstall an old version. (but my computer didn't find the reader even before Microsoft got a chance to do any updates ??) anyway the thread is here :-

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...ns/Fingerprint-reader-not-detected/td-p/15510

I tried to install the old driver but it told me there is a newer version already installed. Not sure how to uninstall the present driver (presumably the new one ?) as I can't identify which device it is in device manager. (possibly its not there seeing as computer tells me it cand find a fingerprint reader on the computer)

so thats where I'm stuck now ??

thanks for putting up with me

Rumi

#9 ·
One other thought,

when I get to the login screen when booting up, there is an icon for my account, one for a smart card, and "2" for fingerprint entry.
1 fingerprint reader just sits there looking dumb, the other says "detecting fingerprint reader" for about 10 seconds then comes up with "fingerprint reader not detected" Is it possible the dumb one is hogging the driver but not getting started ?

#10 ·
In the maintenance manual I posted earlier, on page 5-6, there is an option to enable or disable the fingerprint sensor. Did you check that?
Page 5-4 also lists an option to do a Fingerprint Reset on Reboot.
Do the first one only and reboot to see if that enables the fingerprint reader. If it does; but, it still doesn't like you, the second one makes sense as that system board did belong to someone else.
Did you ever verify that the system board has the same HP part number?

#11 ·
Hi again,
I think (but not sure) that to do either of those enable/resets on the reader I need to go into BIOS setup (F10) in order to get to the file or security menus. But I think I cant access the BIOS setup without a BIOS password.

Yes I did verify the system boards are indeed the same. (Post #3)

Sorry to be awkward ?

Rumi

#12 ·
If the person you got the system board from set a BIOS password, you're scr*wed! That password is set in NVRam and there hasn't been a jumper to clear it in years. Did you try F10 and it asks for a password?
If it does, you either need to get the password from who you bought it from or you'll wind up needing another system board.

#13 ·
yes I tried f10 and it asks for a password, 3 attempts in you have to swich off and on again but it doesnt give any code number that you might use in a password generator. The guy who sold it on ebay said from the start he didnt have a bios password for it.

However, there appears to be a way to get HP to help, I have contacted them and after some security checks, they can send a customised SMC.bin file which I can use to reset the password. (god knows how mind you ??) I'll let you know how that goes, the hunt may yet still be on ???

#15 ·
I'm going to close this one up. The rules clearly state we do not assist with bypassing passwords, and this one is veering into that exact area. If HP can help you, fantastic, but if not, you will need to contact the seller and get the password.

thanks for understanding,

v

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.