Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can't stay connected to wifi, Win 10 problems I think

1K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
Okay, I'm not very computer savy so I really need some help. One day a few months ago Win 10 downloaded without my authorization (by itself). I really didn't want it. Anyway, for the last few weeks I've been having trouble staying connected. I always have a great Wifi connection, so I'm confused. I read something about "drivers" if you installed Win 10. I have no idea how to do this or if it's the problem.
Also, my laptop won't completely shutdown. Lights in front stay on and drain my battery. Have no idea why or what to do. I have an icon that I click for a quick shutdown. It has always worked fine until the last week. I probably should just throw this laptop out the window!!!! So frustrated. I appreciate any help. Please remember that I'm not real good understanding computer problems.
Thank so much!

#2 ·
What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of your laptop?
Did it come with any reinstall discs?

If it's been over 30 days since you upgraded your laptop from Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, you no longer have the option to revert back.
That means Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 will need to be reinstalled in it if you don't want to stay with Windows 10.

Go into the Device Manager, then expand these headings:
Display Adapters
Network Adapters
Sound Video And Game Controllers

Advise the exact names of the devices listed in those headings.

-------------------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphic Family
Nertwork Adapters: Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM) Protocol TDI
Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n/ 2.4 (GHZ)
Realtek PCle FE Family Controller
Sound Video... Realtek High Definition Audio

I have a Dell Inspiron 17. I don't know where to find the complete model #. I think it might have come with reinstall discs.

I don't have any idea what the stuff you requested is. I am definitely clueless with all of this.

Thanks for all your help!!!

#4 · (Edited)
If your laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17 model, we need to confirm which model number it is and which one you have.
Advise us what the exact service tag/serial number and express service code number on yours is.
Those numbers will be stickers on the case - which all Dell's have.

Windows 10 definitely provides drivers for the Intel HD Graphics and Realtek High Definition Audio and Realtek PCIe Fast Ethernet devices, but I'm not sure about the Dell Wireless 1705 device, so I'll need to research it.
Is the wired ethernet connection working okay?

---------------------------------------------------------------

#5 ·
The model # is (S/N) 9P8QQZ1
Express service code - 21117380365

By the way, I've been able to stay connected most of the time today. Went offline a few times. Don't know why it's inconsistent. But, it's not very fast. I don't have tons of info on this laptop. I have 636 GB of free space and 47.6 GB in used space.

I haven't tried to connect it with a ethernet cable.

Also, I try to delete temp folders and keep it clean the best I know how.

Thanks!!!

#6 · (Edited)
The model # is (S/N) 9P8QQZ1
Express service code - 21117380365
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 3737 17.3" laptop.
It shipped in February 2014 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 8/8.1 64-bit.
It came with these hardware specs:
Intel Core i5-4200U processor
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

6 GB(4 GB + 2 GB) of DDR3L-1600 RAM
750 GB(698 GB actual capacity) SATA hard drive
DVD+/-RW disc drive
Intel HD Graphics 4400 integrated graphics
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

Realtek ALC3223 high definition audio
Realtek RTL8106E ethernet
Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n
But, it's not very fast.
Your laptop has a very decent processor and graphics and has 6 GB of RAM, so it shouldn't be running slow.
Are you referring to the laptop being slow or are you referring to the wireless connection speed being slow?

--------------------------------------------------------------

It does list Windows 10 64-bit drivers for its devices.
THIS is the listed Windows 10 64-bit driver for the Dell Wireless 1705 device.
I downloaded and extracted the file and examined its contents.
It showed the wireless device as having an Atheros chipset and the driver version to be 10.0.0.321

BEFORE you download and install that driver, do the following:
Double-click the Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n/ 2.4 (GHZ) entry in the Network Adapters heading in the Device Manager.
Click the "Driver" tab, then advise what the exact driver version and driver date is that's listed there.
Click the "Details" tab, then select "Hardware Ids" in the list, then advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_ in those strings.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
Hello,
Thanks so much for helping me and telling me how to get the info you need.
Version - 10.0.0.318, Date - 5/22/15
Hardware Id's -
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&SUBSYS_020C1028&REV_01
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&SUBSYS_020C1028
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0036&CC_0280

I think this is what you need. I'm sorry I'm so clueless with all of this stuff. It's very foreign to me!!! Please let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks again for all your help.

#8 ·
Those vendor and device codes (168C and 0036) confirm the "Dell Wireless 1705" device to actually be a Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter.
The link to the driver that I provided you a link to in post #6 is only a slightly newer version than the driver currently installed, so I don't believe that installing and updating it is going to help with the wireless connection issue.
I also get the impression that you don't know how to install a driver, so it may be best to leave well enough alone.

You didn't answer my question in post #6 as to whether it's the laptop running slow or the wireless connection running slow.

------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
I'm sorry I missed your post about it being slow ( I didn't see it). It's definitely my wi-fi connection, however, yesterday and today it's been pretty good. Very inconsistent and I don't know why. I have 2 device always on the wifi, and sometimes my kindle. Also, I use my wifi for Netflix, but not all the once. I do have a wifi extender which helps. I think if it gets slow again, I may have to reboot my modem and router, however, I don't know what I should do with the extender. Should I reboot that too??

Also, sorry about all the questions, but do you know what I can do to completely shut down my laptop. The lights in the front stay on after I power down. This just started about a week ago. Have no idea why. You've been such a tremendous help. Thank you so very much!!!

#10 ·
The speed of a wireless connection can be effected by several things, such as:
1. The internet speed plan you have
2. The number of devices sharing the wireless connection
3. Interference from other electronic devices inside the house

I know nothing about wireless extenders, so I can't comment on that.

Unless your Dell laptop is connected to its power adapter and is charging its battery, all of its lights should go out when you completely shut it down.

----------------------------------------------------------------

#11 ·
Thanks so much for answering my questions. I know there are no electronic devices causing interference and think my provider is good. I'm going to have to research a few more things.

As for the shut down, it's connected to power, but after I shut it down I unplug it. I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, thanks so much for all your help. It is greatly appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.