Status
Not open for further replies.

USB Flash Drive Problem

Solved 
2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  deubanks 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8142 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 921259 MB, Free - 408041 MB; D: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 137483 MB; F: Total - 953835 MB, Free - 952191 MB; H: Total - 99 MB, Free - 63 MB; I: Total - 939431 MB, Free - 237725 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, SKYBAY
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I have a SimpliSafe keychain remote with a flash drive built in. The drive has a setup wizard for the alarm system.
When plugged into a USB drive it opens IE and allows me to put the alarm password and other settings in the drive to be transferred to the alarm system. I had Win 7 when I got the alarm and the drive worked on it.
I now have a new computer with Win 10 and I cannot get the drive to work on it. The drive shows in my computer and I can open it and see the contents.
The problem is that it will not connect to the SimpleSafe wizard on this PC but it will work on a small Acer notebook that has Win 10 upgraded from Win 8.1
I uninstalled the antivirus and turned off windows firewall and that did not help. the company is sending me a new drive but since this one works on the notebook, the drive is probably not the problem.

Any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
Maybe I did not do a good job of explaining the problem above.

I have a USB drive that opens IE and contacts the SimpliSafe website. There the alarm info can be typed in and saved on the USB drive.
The drive worked as it should on Win 7 and on a Acer notebook that has Win 10 Home on it upgraded from Win 8.1.

The problem is that it opens IE on my Win 10 Home desktop but says that it cannot contact the SimpliSafe website.
What on my Win 10 desktop can keep it from contacting the SimpliSafe website?
I disabled the smart screen and windows firewall and uninstalled the Avast antivirus and it still would not work.

It does something to the desktop PC that prevents it from shutting down the normal way. I have to hold the power button down to shut it down.

#3 · (Edited)
View attachment 251406
This is what it looks like on the notebook when it opens as it should.
New info. I have learned that when SimpliSafe opens IE it does not contact the website. It opens a setup wizard that is on the flash drive.
I learned that by using the notebook PC mentioned above by trying it while not connected to the internet.
It works as it should on the notebook but will not open the wizard on the desktop.
As far as I can tell, windows defender and windows firewall are setup the same on both PC's.
This is what it looks like. It should open and show a place to put the alarm password.

It does something to the desktop PC that prevents it from shutting down the normal way. I have to hold the power button down to shut it down and it takes much longer than normal for it to boot up the first time after using the SimpliSafwe USB drive.
[A
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Screenshot Line
TTACH=full]251404[/ATTACH]

#7 ·
The desktop PC has the version 1607 update and the notebook PC still has version 1511.

The update might be the problem.
I read on PCWorld website that some people are having problems wit their Kendell readers after the update. It is locking up their PC's.
I did not try the drive on my desktop before the update was installed it locks up when trying to shut down. I have to turn the power off to shut it down.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else had problems caused bu the 1607 update?

#10 ·
The patch and updates did not fix the problem on the desktop PC.
The notebook PC was upgraded to the 1607 version yesterday by MS updates and the SimpliSafe USB drive software still works as it should on it.
I talked to a Lenovo rep., a SimpleSafe rep/ and a MS rep. and none of them have a clue. MS said that it probably is not compatible with the 1607 version, but that was before the update yesterday on the notebook.

Any more ideas, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.