Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

motherboard or video card issues?

2K views 28 replies 2 participants last post by  halo2121 
#1 ·
I am having issues with my computer. Every time I try to install the drivers for my video card computer crashes and get hyper transport sync flood error. If I remove card and run the computer using on board video card it works. Is my PCIE slot having issues, card or motherboard?

my system is a
AMD phenom x4 955
board msi 785-e51
12 gb ram
video card: dual x r9 280
1.5tb hd
750gb hd

any help would be great.

#2 ·
What is the make and module of your power supply? Specs for the dual x r9 280 say at least a 500 watt power supply. I assume you have the 2-6pin power connectors connected to the power supply?

#4 ·
Do you have the model of the sentey 750w power supply? Looking on line some are OK and some are not. Were you having issues on your old power supply also?

#6 ·
Your P.S. is not the best but has pretty good reviews and probably OK.Are you overclocking you mother board or GPU? Are you using the Easy OC Switch?

#8 · (Edited)
Turn your GPU OC switch off and try to install the drivers again. Do you have a way to check your temps and voltages? Speccy is one https://www.piriform.com/speccy
What operating system? Also do you know how to look at your Minidump files and post them.

#9 ·
Ok will do tomorrow if possible.

Now I am having this issue it said operating system not found try disconnecting any drivers that do not contain an operating system. I turned off computer unplugged it, plugged it back came up and said this cmos checksum bad press f1 or f2, pressed f2 wont boot up and said this on windows 10: IRQL not less or equal. I turned off computer and now is up and running WTF!.

I also downloaded the program you mentioned.

Attachments

#11 ·
Can you go in the BIOS (hit the
Font Computer Electric blue Multimedia Electronic device
Del key DEl key while booting) and go to H/W monitor And check your 5V and 12V voltages Speccy may not be reporting them right, they should look like the above. Specy showing 3.9 for your 5V and 7.9 for your 12V. Also you might want to test your hard drive , download the WD Data lifeguard diagnostic here.http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?lang=en

#14 ·
OK the voltages in the BIOS look ok and I guess you ran the extended tests on you hard drives. You can Download a free memory test program and run it overnight ,at least 6 passes.http://www.memtest86.com/technical.htm For the crashes there is BlueScreenView displays the minidump filename, the date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver or module that possibly caused the crash. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

#17 ·
To boot from disk You have to go in the BIOS and temporarily change the first boot device to CDROM or If "boot from other devices" is yes you can temporarily disconnect your hard drives to force it to boot from the CDROM. See page 3-11 in your manual, Your Manual is here https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/785GME65.html#down-manual Chose the 2009-05-14 English it has the most info.

#19 ·
You have to extract it and burn it as an ISO "
Create a bootable CD-ROM:

1. Download the Windows MemTest86 ISO image.
  2. Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here� option. This places the CD-ROM ISO image into the current folder.
  3. Use the CD burning software available on your system to create a CD-ROM using the extracted ISO image. Be sure that you create a CD image from the ISO file rather than placing a copy of the ISO file onto a data CD. Look for �Burn Image from File� or similar option under the File menu of your CD burning software.

#21 · (Edited)
OH! Not good, Test each memory stick by itself in DIMM1 to see if one is bad. Oh by the way you said your board was board msi 785-e51 but Speccy says MSI 785GM-E65 (MS7596). If each stick test good the try putting two in (DIMM1 and DIMM3) on most boards for dual channel. Your manual isn't real clear , I think on yours Dual channel May be 1& 2 because they are the same color. I had a similar problem with my board with 4 memory sticks dropped back to 3 and they all tested fine.
P.S. What is the exact part # on your ram?

#24 ·
It is better to test one at a time because if they check good individually it could be some bios settings. I tried to look up your kit part # and couldn't find it on the Patriot site or Google. Sometimes the memory manufacture's put a internal part # known only to them on what it means. If you RMA them they usually want the whole kit. If you get errors on the test stop and go to the next stick. Any errors at all causes problems. My motherboard is very picky about 4GB sticks and I ordered a pair from Crucial last year (the only ones that still make memory for my board) and one tested bad, got a replacement and the new ones as a pair they had errors but not individually. Ended having to bump my memory voltage from 1.5V to 1.6V and the memory controller from 1.1V to1.2V, may be due to aging components on the board.

#25 ·
Yes the RMA is for the whole kit.(At least free replacement) I will test each ram just in case. And post what I see. I there a way to speed test each one without doing the overnight test. Like a speed test? Maybe that is what you meant by "test stop". I will try to post what I see. But anyways if I send kit they usually send a new one due to lifetime warranty (did it before long time though) I guess if that one causes problems maybe is due to aging components on motherboard as you stated. I bought that motherboard in 2009. I guess due to replace soon LOL.

#26 ·
If you see errors on the pass, stop the test and go to the next stick. The only time you need to test overnight is if you are not seeing any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.