Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannot install updates

Solved 
1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  flavallee 
#1 ·
I have just finished installing a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit on my desktop being a Dell XPS 600 with 2 GB RAM since the previous hard drive was already giving me problems. I installed the IE11 download from microsoft and tried installing the updates but to no avail. I tried the method provided in this forum but still cannot install any updates. I also manually installed the NET framework 4.5 in my computer. All other programs were installed without any problems at all.

#3 ·
I've done a few fresh installs and lots of updating of machines and the patch sequence Frank refers too does work. If you are having an issue where the patches stay at searching for updates then you need to disconnect from the internet, reboot, and then apply the patches one at time rebooting after each one and staying disconnected from the internet during the whole process. Updating the WU Agent probably does the trick by itself but if you apply all the patches then it significantly reduces the number of updates and the time it takes that will need to be downloaded afterwards.

#6 ·
I found another installation disc for Windows 7 (authentic) but without the SP1 in it. I installed it in my computer and presto, the updates appeared within seconds. I installed all updates but now I have another problem. I cannot install SP1 into my computer. It downloads and restarts but then I get an error message "SP1 fail to install, reverting back...". I tried it 4 times already with the same results. I did not get any error codes. Do I need to make another thread or can I continue here.

BTW, Windows 7 is activated (genuine).

#7 ·
If your disc is the ORIGINAL version of Windows 7, you should've downloaded and saved and then installed the Service Pack 1 upgrade afterwards BEFORE proceeding to the other steps.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

If your computer has the 32-bit version, select file name windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe

If your computer has the 64-bit version, select file name windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

---------------------------------------------------------------

#9 ·
After so many days of frustration with this program (W7 64 bits) I gave up for right now and will try again later on. Luckily I still had my old hard drive without being touched and had to reconnect it back again until it dies on me. Thanks for all your help and support.

#10 ·
You need to use the Internet Explorer 11 browser to access the Microsoft Update Catalog site, then allow it to install the add-on.
You can then obtain the list of KB updates.
Starting in October, Microsoft will start allowing other browsers to work with that site.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#12 ·
I'm not there, so I don't know why you're having all the problems that you're having.
I've done 3 clean installs of Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit in the past few weeks, and the list of steps mentioned in my thread have worked fine for me.
It takes me only a few hours to do a clean install and then get it completely up-to-date.

#13 ·
If you follow these steps in this thread:
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/steps-for-installing-updating-windows-7-sp1.1176121/
you shouldn't have any trouble doing a clean install of and updating Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.

Make sure to read post #1 in its entirety.
Better yet, print it off so you can refer to it as you go.

After a few days of frustration and panic today I was totally relaxed and my brain cleared up. I reinstalled Windows 7 with SP1 installed and disconnected the internet while doing this procedure and then installed my video driver and then connected back the internet to my computer and followed your steps and to my surprise everything worked well except for step #5 which I got an error "this update is not applicable to your computer". I tried it twice and same result so I skipped this download and continued with the rest. When I got to step #9 I got a little confused on where to click to get the download, so I went to the Microsoft website and got it from there and installed it. After finishing I clicked on windows update withing 10 minutes I got all the updates and installed them (which included the one I could not install in step #5). I just finished installing all updates and activated my Windows 7 OS and installed my audio driver too. Now I have to start installing my programs into my computer, which will take me another day in doing so. I saved all downloads into my external hard drive for future use. When I am done I will make a backup file in case I get in trouble again in the future.
Now I have another problem, but it will be discussed in the XP threads.
Thanks for all your help and support.

#14 ·
I'm glad to hear you finally got the Windows 7 install and update issue resolved.
You're welcome. (y)

I keep the drivers and programs and KB updates for each of my computers on 2 CD copies.
If I decide to do a clean install for some reason, it saves me a LOT of time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.