Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Move from current ISP and out of state

837 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  TonyB25 
#1 ·
Silly question I know. I currently have Verizon and I use Thunderbird email. I am moving out of state and probably to a new ISP. If I decide to keep Thunderbird, but not Verizon, will all of my emails be retained? Thanks.

#4 ·
Messages on the computer should be retained. Those on Verizon's server will go away. Don't know if Verizon's policy is to kill email as soon as they are dropped as the ISP. I know AT&T used to, and maybe still do, keep the email alive for a month to give ex-customers time to transition.

#5 ·
Thanks for that Terry. My next question is how to retain them OFF Thunderbird. If I do a "save as" it doesn't save as another type of file but stays a T-bird file. I looked at their site for answers and they offer moving msgs to a new computer. Seems it would work to just move them to my gmail acct. Question is - they say make sure gmail is configured for imap rather than pop3. Don't know how to do that - looked in gmail settings folder - don't see anything about that. I will keep exploring tho. Thanks again.

#6 ·
If I do a "save as" it doesn't save as another type of file but stays a T-bird file.
When I do File - Save as with a message selected Thunderbird will save as .eml (the default; pretty universal for email clients I think), .html or .txt.

Seems it would work to just move them to my gmail acct.
Yes. With both accounts in Thunderbird easiest is just Message - Move to - and select the gmail account and the desired folder. Actually, I would play safer and use Copy to instead of Move to.

make sure gmail is configured for imap
Set up Gmail with Outlook, Apple Mail, or other mail clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.