Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Using existing parts for upgrade

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Triple6 
#1 ·
Hello i make music on my PC using NI Maschine and FL Studio on the NI forms i was told that the CPU issues Ive been having in Maschine (A drum maschine sampler) must be do to the fact i have a dual core and a quad core motherboard is needed
I have 16 gigs of ram so i shouldn't be having a CPU issue
So my question is id like to use all the parts possible from my current gateway including most if not all the ram
and buy a case and a quad core motherboard that's good for music but not to expensive....i included a link to my computer and its specs i just really need to know what i can keep and what id need to buy......
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AJ3VW6072

#3 ·
Depends on what you want to use the computer for and how big your budget is. The two things you mention don't require an incredibly powerful computer but the more you put into the better they will run and the better the system as whole will run. Personally I wouldn't re-use anything from that Gateway and just build yourself a new quality computer. You can sell the Gateway for a it of cash toward a better system. AMD APU systems in generally suck for any real processing, and Gateway quality is pretty much at the bottom. Ideally you'd get yourself an Intel i5 processor and matching motherboard.

What RAM did you buy? What is your budget?

#4 ·
Well i have a few music projects i need to work on soon.But in the near future i do plan to build a complete gaming PC.
For now my budget is only about $100 that's why i would like to use some parts from my current PC.
Mostly the ram i just bought 4 sticks of 4gigs DDR3 and i also bought a new hardrive WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)
Id like to also use the graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7540D and last the wi fi card
i have a USB audio interface Scarlett Focusrite 2i2......im running Windows 8.1 on my drive i dont have the disc so id like to keep the current drive until i get a new drive to clone it to. i just need a pretty fast Quad core that can handle NI Maschine its a CPU monster lol
also id like to get the board from amazon because i have an account from them but if you know of a cheaper site that would be cool too.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Depends on what you want to do and how much money to spend. If you get a new case motherboard you probably have to buy and install the operating system and all your programs. Or You could buy a new hard drive to go with the new motherboard and case (or new computer) and use a program like PCmover to transfer everything. Memory would probably work unless you got a DDR4 board. Or you could upgrade the CPU to a AMD A10-6700 quad core $65 used to $126 new and see how it performs for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.